Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uber-river  (Read 907 times)

Adral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Uber-river
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »

First of all, hello everyone, and congratulations for doing the best game ever.

I have had this problem with my dwarven outpost, I don't know if this has to happen because I am still somewhat of a newbie, but... It certainly doesn't look normal!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q179/Adral/local_map-1-1052-24498.png

I was trying to do a farm on the room on the south, so I channeled the river into it in the northest entrance to the room. Then I put a floodgate and opened it so the room flooded... But I didn't know how to make the water stop entering, so I thought I should make an exit for the water. I had this brilliant idea where I would dig the southest entrance in that room and put another floodgate to have control on whether the room was going to be flooded or not by just pulling some levers... But as soon as the miner opened what would be the exit of the water, the Evil River of Infinite Water flooded the entire world! Looks like a nasty bug to me, so I thought I'd report it just in case.

On a related question, is there any way to do this with the outer river that does not bring doom upon the entire dwarf civilization?

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uber-river
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 05:42:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's normal behavior, actually. You only needed to close the original floodgate. The water would recede, leaving farmable mud.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Uber-river
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

Yeah, water is a bit strange, but that's how it works in this game.  Any water connected to the river is "sourced", and other water will drain away.  It's hard to be much more realistic without killing the processor.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!