Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How screwed am I?  (Read 701 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How screwed am I?
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:51:11 am »

I'm playing as the Goblins, and I'm in the process of building a giant tower from smoothed obsidian blocks.
Currently, I'm at war with the nearest Human Civ, and the nearest Dwarf Civ. Not hostile, WAR. When can I expect raiding parties, and how large will be? What will they contain?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: How screwed am I?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:53 am »

Humans and Dwarves don't ambush, as far as I know, so you can probably expect a brief period of stability, then constant sieging.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:15 am »

Lovely.
What kind of soliders do they come with? What materials will they use? Do humans use mounts? Do they announce a siege, or do they sneak up like elves?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:13 am »

I had a human officier use a Warcamel, so they use mounts. Don't know about the dwarves.
For materials, Humans are bronze age mostly. Dwarves will probably be steel-clad.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:07:35 am »

I modded in a dwarf-capable metal made from processed Slade. Will they use it? Because, as a gob, I don't have anything capable of penetrating that.
And what weapons do Human use? Spears? Bows? Whips?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:35 am »

Lovely.
What kind of soliders do they come with? What materials will they use? Do humans use mounts? Do they announce a siege, or do they sneak up like elves?

Humans can bring any type of soldiers. Scourges are the only weapon they don't have access to.
They can be mounted on common domestic mounts, which generally makes them harmless, because those mounts are all [BENIGN]. Mounted archers, on the other hand, are extremely dangerous because of this.
They may be armed and half-armored (Helm/cap+mail shirt/breastplate/leather armor + shield) in bronze. Iron, copper and silver too if they have access.

Dwarves have no bowmen nor lashers nor pikemen. They are limited in their choice of weapons to what you can make in fortress mode.
 I never seen them mounted on anything, but that's most likely just me and they'll most likely come mounted on cave animals someday.
They can bring armor and weapons made from anything. Raw metal gear is possible only if their civ has access to it, while alloys (including steel) will be present in any case.

regarding slade, they will not have it if it is smelt from slade ore, because they have no access to slade stones. If it's an alloy, they'll have it.

It would also be a good idea to check legends mode to find out what unusual animals have your enemies tamed. Humans law-givers and dwarven generals sometimes may tame something you'd better not see attacking you, like war giant tigers or giant eagles or jabberers or giant cave spiders.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:16:19 am by nanomage »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:12:11 am »

For the modded material, no idea.

For the human weapons : I saw crossbows, longswords, spears...
I think that what you see on the caravan guards in a normal game is a good indicator of what to expect in a siege.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:21 am »

if you remove the exotic tag, the humans might show up with giant war eagles war giant eagles as mounts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:35:42 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:25:34 am »

They can be mounted on common domestic mounts, which generally makes them harmless, because those mounts are all [BENIGN]. Mounted archers, on the other hand, are extremely dangerous because of this.

Half true, they will show up with war domestic animals, which means they will attack you on sight making them very dangerous considering their size. Furthermore they will also show up with large cats if they have access to them.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:56 pm »

The metal IS an alloy, so they can use it, I guess.
Also, it doesn't matter. 20 Elven Archers snuck in through my farms and killed everyone.