Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nazi Dinosaurs  (Read 5494 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nazi Dinosaurs
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »

Anyone have an idea of how the dino's play in this game? I liked the way the aliens played in Natural Selection. I don't know if I liked it 20 bucks worth, but I liked it none-the-less.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 06:22:18 pm »

Yeah, that $20 price tag made me do a double-take.

Looking at some of the gameplay footage here, it looks amusing, but I'd never consider paying much for it. $5, I'd vaguely consider purchasing it, and for $2 there's a good chance they'd have a deal. But honestly, it's quite obviously a HL2 mod - compare to, say, PVK II, where they did a much better job at polishing it up. And seriously, $20?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 06:27:18 pm »

Hm, didn't see the price tag. That's a bit steep: significantly less awesome now. :(

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 06:59:06 pm »

What is wrong with the first few posters here!?

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.

You'll note that those posts are from over two years ago, at a stage where the game might not been as polished?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »

This is free mod quality, there's no way I'd pay money for it.
Shoes...

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:45 pm »

There's your Nazi Dinosaur right there.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 07:10:45 pm »

What is wrong with the first few posters here!?

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.
You'll note that those posts are from over two years ago, at a stage where the game might not been as polished?
Yeah, only after posting. Looks like I got a little excited :P

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:49 am »

By the way, this is now on sale on steam for $5. There's a free weekend for it, ending in 5/6 hours. The game isn't the best, but it's fast-paced and different. I've personally been enjoying it quite a bit :) Consider buying it, if not to help the devs continue improving it :) Besides, you can try it for free!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »

*Dig dig*
Hey, this topic isn't that old.

By the way, this is now on sale on steam for $5. There's a free weekend for it, ending in 5/6 hours. The game isn't the best, but it's fast-paced and different. I've personally been enjoying it quite a bit :) Consider buying it, if not to help the devs continue improving it :) Besides, you can try it for free!

I played it over the free-play weekend and bought it (for $5).  Been playing it off and on this last week.  The game's still kind of...rough, but I think the largest issue is that post-free-play there are 2 to 5 populated servers.

Only one of which doesn't run the same (i.e. worst) map, dm_trex_gala, 24/7.

I have nothing against the t-rex, it just doesn't work for a deathmatch style game, as it's significantly more powerful than the "worth three kills" value it has.

I've been considering doing a rough mock-up (to send to the devs*) of a map that's "storyline wise" an extension of koth_market.  That is, extend the map downwards on the one side (so the allies spawn at the top of the hill, in/next to the market square) to a waterfront.  The allies goal is to get people onto the boats, the axis is to stop them, and they get a T-rex "goalie," confined to the immediate beachfront (as opposed to dm_trex_gala where it can hit the allies from their spawn door**).

*My mapmaking skills aren't the greatest, but I figure if I could do a rough design they could texture and beautify it.
**Notably, this is a bad idea for the t-rex, as bullets won't enter the spawn room, but thrown grenades will exit (the PIAT and other bullets do not exit, either).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:18:18 pm by Draco18s »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 03:56:38 pm »

This game really never progressed beyond free mod quality. Even $5 is steep for what you get.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 04:28:28 pm »

Well, me and my wife have been having a great time playing it. I understand it doesn't have the greatest graphics, and the gameplay is rough in edges, but it works great as a fast multiplayer shooter. I totally wasn't expecting it, but my wife, who only became a non hardcore gamer a couple years ago at most can usually get a K/D ratio above 1! I was super surprised, and she seems to enjoy it a bunch. She also gets to be the T-rex way more often than anyone else for some reason, heheheh! Still!

Speaking of T-rex... I've been a T-rex and lasted for most of the round, and I've been dead before killing anyone. It's really up to the allies skill, but it does require skill and teamwork definitely helps. Arty strikes, sticky bombs and Jakob's gun, whatever its name is, can make really short work of an unwary t-rex. They could definitely up the "value" or a T-rex kill, but they'd need to work on who gets points, and how many of them. It's very easy for you to take out most a T-rex's life and then someone else gets the last shot and the points!

Anyway, the devs continue to support the game and post on the forums. They're working on a survival mode, if I understand correctly. And again, I find myself enjoying this a bunch, although it seems more and more people are playing humans instead of dinosaurs ;) I do much better with humans myself, but there you go :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »

Speaking of T-rex... I've been a T-rex and lasted for most of the round, and I've been dead before killing anyone. It's really up to the allies skill, but it does require skill and teamwork definitely helps.

True, I've done both.  But if you're smart you do nothing but throw 500 pound bombs from the bombed out church.  Occasionally some short bursts with the machine gun for those kills you need now.  As long as there's a medic around once in a while you can stay up and healthy for an entire match (one health kit will heal you to full).

Arty strikes, sticky bombs and Jakob's gun, whatever its name is, can make really short work of an unwary t-rex. They could definitely up the "value" or a T-rex kill, but they'd need to work on who gets points, and how many of them.

Right, some allies are better than others against the t-rex.

It's very easy for you to take out most a T-rex's life and then someone else gets the last shot and the points!

In the context I was speaking (death match gmae-winning points) the points are per side not per player (oh no, you only got the assist on the t-rex, boo hoo--it's annoying, I'll grant, but not significant gameplay wise).
Pages: 1 [2]