Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating less Z-levels?  (Read 2876 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Generating less Z-levels?
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »

Is it possible to generate a embark with all three caverns, lava bottom and maybe 10-15 z-levels total?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Generating less Z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »

Change some world gen parameters.

Z Levels Above Ground
Z Levels Above Layer X
Z Levels At Bottom

Obviously pick a flat area. Unless for some reason you really want all 3 layers, lower Cavern Layer Number. You can get cut down total Z-levels a lot, but I'm not sure 10 will work.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

There is no real advantage to more than 1 cavern layer, when you only have a single cavern layer you get nethercaps at cavern level 1, and I think just about everything else you can get from 3 layers as well, it is the biggest way to shave down z-levels as well.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »

here's a world gen for shallow worlds (~20-40 z levels on entire map) with lots of rivers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: i did not create the worldgen, but i'm too lazy to search for the original post.

Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.