Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ash from forge/smelter  (Read 706 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ash from forge/smelter
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:01:38 am »

Is there some reason operations at a smelter or forge, which burn charcoal for fuel, couldn't generate ash as a byproduct?

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ash from forge/smelter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:42 am »

Although a legitemate reason, you can always mod that in to produce it. It's most likely not already in the code because it would be far too easy to gain ash through smelting and such.
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:32:11 am »

Can't they also use coal for fuel? I've never found any coal, so I wouldn't know for sure without looking it up, but we should be careful. As far as I know, ash from burning coal can't be used to create lye the way wood ash can. I wouldn't want a smelter/forge to create ash in every case.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:55:28 am »

Although a legitemate reason, you can always mod that in to produce it. It's most likely not already in the code because it would be far too easy to gain ash through smelting and such.
BUT IT IS EASY!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:31 am »

They can burn coke, which is made from coal. I think that coke actually makes minimal ash IRL.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 04:46:53 am »

They can burn coke, which is made from coal. I think that coke actually makes minimal ash IRL.
Good thing the game allows reactions to produce fractional products then!
One "bar" of ash is 150 units, so you could e.g. have one smelting reaction produce 10 units of ash, meaning you'd have to perform 15 smelting reactions at one workshop to obtain one "bar" of ash.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 06:00:20 am »

would that even work?
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:54:16 am »

It kind of does for smelting.
Even if not , you can always use a 10% possibility instead.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »

I always imagine dwarven smelters as like a blast furnace, so maybe you should get bars, globs, or stones of slag as well.

Of course, a reason for waste disposal is something I support wholeheartedly. Without a need for a sewage system, bones being craftable, and waste stone not needing to be hauled, you can just seal off.
I want a need to slowly fill caves up with rubbish.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.