Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emotion dump  (Read 945 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Emotion dump
« on: August 04, 2011, 02:36:02 am »

I really feel the need to rant :/  Feel free to rant with me... provided it's "productive" ranting.  No bashing other members of these forums, no breaking forum rules.

I have to be honest... I hate myself.  I hate how I dress, how I talk, how I relate to people on a daily basis.  I hate being gay, I hate it when I try to imagine myself being straight, I hate God, I hate not believing in God but I hate myself for believing in him too.  I hate how I seem to talk on a different "wavelength" than other people, I feel like I have to constantly translate my thoughts for most people.  I'm not saying I'm smarter than them, I'm saying I see the world in some bizarre way that's different from other people.  And people look at my strangely when snippits of my world escape in my words.  I hate how life constantly throws problems at everyone.  But I know there's nothing I can do.  Yet I wonder how many of those problems are caused by people who just don't care.  My faulty connection is probably one of those, I doubt the company cares whether we have good internet or not.  So I try to care to keep my problems from passing onto other people, but sometimes... I can't help but give up sometimes.  And I hate myself for it, and I can't help but blame myself for causing the inconvenience for others.

I try my best to care for others, but I wonder if anyone really cares for me.  It's hard to love my family.  I love my Dad, he tries so hard to keep everything fixed and keep himself happy.  I hate my Mom.  She complains constantly about everything, she... there's no way to describe how much I hate what she does to everyone around her.  I'd say she's borderline emotionally abusive, and probably needs professional help.  She lives in her own little word where she's perfect, the universe revolves around her, and if anyone tries to wake her up, she plays victim or accuses them of being mean to her.  She won't outright say she's the "queen" of our family, but that's how she acts.  She takes her anger out on everyone at home.  She will actually yell if someone accuses her of not caring (yes, she'll actually yell and throw a temper tantrum.  Sure she's done a lot for me in the past, but emotionally, she's only destructive).  She's sarcastic to the point of extreme bitterness.  I'm also sarcastic, and one of my greatest fears is that sometime in my life, I'll turn into the emotional abuser she is and never realize it.  I'm afraid to start any kind of romantic relationship because of that.  I don't want to be controlling, I don't want to be... her.  My older brother has schizophrenia paranoia, and we can't find a medication to help him get back to normal.  The current meds keep him from being a danger to himself and others, but now he will go from being walking vegetable to someone almost like himself, but not really.  My younger brother is a pilot, and he's getting married this month.  And my mother... good grief what is wrong with her.  She actually hung out with her future daughter in law, they seemed to have a great time, they even watched TV together.  The minute my brother and his fiancee go home, my mother goes on a ranting rampage about how much she hates his fiancee.  *sigh*

I hate my life.  I hate how I put so much work into school, and here I am, working a $9/hour seasonal, part time job, and I hate my job.  Other friends?  One friend is writing an app for the iPad, and he just got out of college this year <_<  So many people are finding their callings, so many people are getting married.  And where am I?  Nowhere.  Living at home.  With a mother who will probably drive me insane or smother me with emotional abuse.  What can I do?  I can write.  And I can't get myself to write.  I'm going back to school, but now I'm wondering that's going to pan out.  My friends are encouraging me.  But will it work?  So many of my friends are succeeding in life.  I succeeded in school, but now I'm failing life.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:28:32 pm by Euld »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional dump
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:40:34 am »

Don't be hatin' on yourself. I don't hate on you.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:50:51 am »

That's life. From my own experience, it only gets worse. And worse. And worse.

Your mother sounds a lot like my grandmother. She has OCD and DID. Your mother sounds like she has DID, but it's not like I'm an expert in these things except for living 10 years with a crazy old lady.

It's not like I know you, but hang in there and don't give up. Sometimes nice things happen and you never know.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:24:02 am »

Here is my advice. It may sound strange, but I would like to ask you a question for yourself to answer. Are you and your family extremely busy people? Not necessarily leaving the house busy, but always bustling about trying to find something to do?

Sometimes it helps to have a day where you simply sit and relax and think about your life. I'm practically an expert at this as I am chronically unemployed due to my career choice of digital musician/whatever. Some people call it meditation, others call it reflection, but all those names might make you think it won't work so forget about them. I don't know if you can find that state of mind where you are sort of halfway asleep and at a total calm with yourself yet, but I highly recommend trying to find that and instead of trying to fall asleep try to think about things, as it will make it easier to think about uncomfortable topics, which should be your goal. I tend to lay in bed when I'm tired and keep myself from going all the way asleep to find it for example. The only thing in your head should be your thoughts, don't pay attention to your breathing or feeling or sensations, try to be neutral.

I think that was a cause for many tired mornings when I was younger, but I wonder if it's a genetic or environmental thing.

I can't give you advice for things regarding your orientation as I am not that way, but I think with reflection upon yourself and your environment you will find some answers as to what must, or should be done with your family. After that the next step is to think about how to implement these things, and I do that in the same manner.

It sounds like your Dad is doing the best he can and you should try to support him. He probably loves his wife in that he knows what he would give up if she was not around, and it's enough to put up with her. If he's the one doing all the positive things in the family the best thing to do would be to try to support him as best you can while still respecting his relationship with your mother.

However, you said yourself that you are sarcastic with your family. I think the best advice I can give you would be to stop doing that and simply be a nice guy even if it's not clever. Sarcasm can be useful and amusing, but it can be hurtful and if it's reflexive the chance of that increases I believe. I'd also advise having a talk between just you and your mother in a private room where you can have a long discussion (if needed) about how to stop treating each other poorly. It's important that you try to enter the conversation gently and that you try very hard not to get angry, since if you want to stop her theatrics you will have to stop yours. Be as calm and understanding as possible but not condescending and go straight to the point after you are sure she is aware you think there is a problem. Also you will have to give some ground if you expect to take some (I'm assuming from what amounts to the moon.) Also don't call her names.

Anyways though, I hope that helped.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:10 am »

I am encouraging you.  You should definitely go to a college or a school place and advance your education so that you can go and leave somewhere that has a better environment.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:36:58 am »

Kind of hard to do that when you have no idea what you want to do. It's a huge time investment, you should be sure.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:41:45 am »

You need to have some goal or your life will seem pointless.  I was giving a suggestion from one of many.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »

It's all about 'realistic' goals in the business world, baby.

Here's a good one: Make five new friends (regular aquaintances, if you'd prefer) by the end of October.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:45 pm »

It's all about 'realistic' goals in the business world, baby.

Here's a good one: Make five new friends (regular aquaintances, if you'd prefer) by the end of October.
Yeah, this. Friends are great.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »

I don't know about him... But I don't like people. I'd never meet that quota.

Even if he said "Make five friends by the end of your life." I don't think I would be able to meet the quota.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »

Thanks for the replies, yeah I really needed to rant when I made this thread.  I'm feeling much better.  What tipped me over the edge was an online Q&A event with a graduate (plus other people) from a top-of-the-line gaming college in my area called Digipen.  The whole thing felt very awkward for me, like I didn't belong.  Which bothered me really, really badly.  This October, I'm going full steam for a degree in game design at a different (and cheaper college), and recently I've been having strong doubts.  I know for a fact that I need to move out my parent's house, and soon.  I feel like I'm being smothered here :/  I also don't want to get stuck in the rut of working at retail stores when I know I'm capable of far better (it's also soul crushing when you put a lot of effort into your department, get recognized for it, then they hire some new manager who insists you're doing it wrong and trashes the department instead).  This game design degree has been my one hope for a while now, and well, it's looking awfully dim now.  Yeah that's probably what sparked my "self hate" speech.  Although, yeah a lot of what I said is true, I do not feel satisfied with myself right now.

I know more friends won't help, I have around 200 friends on Facebook that I do interact with fairly often.  If anything, I know what I need to do, and I know my friends can't really help.  I do need a goal :/  It just seems like the game design one might not pan out after all, which scares me.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »

Even if he said "Make five friends by the end of your life." I don't think I would be able to meet the quota.

Overcoming this is part of the goal, and having to work at it is why it is a goal.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Emotion dump
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 02:29:10 am »

Overcoming this is part of the goal, and having to work at it is why it is a goal.
I don't think being miserable is part of a goal. As in, I'd never have that goal, I'm happy being anti-social.

I do need a goal :/  It just seems like the game design one might not pan out after all, which scares me.
There isn't much of a market for it. But on the bright side, you can dedicate yourself to it as a part time thing. You can keep on trying and try to get some recognition for it.

Or, you can design & program your game(s) solo while working elsewhere.

Toady did it, Notch did it. There's some inspiration there.