Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: marksmen have a quiver limit???  (Read 570 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
marksmen have a quiver limit???
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:53:33 pm »

So, I'm having trouble in my current fort getting marksdwarves to train. By which I mean, in the past, there was only one marksdwarf and he trained just fine. Then, I appointed him Captain of the Guard and put a green recruit in his squad. Suddenly, nobody is using either of the archery ranges I designated for use by the squad.

In the military menu, I have that squad assigned to carry 100 metal bolts (for combat only) and 50 bone bolts (for combat and training). When the original marksdwarf was training, he went forever without picking up the nice bronze bolts I left for him, instead preferring to carry a couple bone bolts.
Currently the squad leader is carrying a dozen copper bolts and a few bone bolts; the other is carrying about 30 bronze bolts that he walked in with (came in as a hunter with no marksdwarf skill, lawl).

Is there some sort of hard limit on the number of bolts that can be in a quiver? That, at least, would explain why the new recruit has done 0 training, if his limit is already taken up with the metal bolts he came with. And I haven't confirmed that the original dwarf (with some bone bolts in quiver currently) doesn't train; all I know is the other had 0 experience until he shot off a couple bolts at a goblin or two.

Also: df_31_25 is fun! I should be getting my first siege soon, I hope my hospital has enough beds.......

ETA: Hm, so the captain IS training. Looks like the quiver limit may be the culprit. Maybe assigning someone right from hunting to military without letting him empty his quiver first is bad.

ETA: Well, I made it work. Had the recruit shoot some capybara, and when he was down to 22 bolts he went back for some bone bolts. Guess there's a limit. Take note, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:05:44 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0