Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Booze-only container  (Read 1018 times)

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Booze-only container
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:30 am »

Is there a type of container that would only hold booze, but not food?
Reserving barrels doesn't quite work for me :(

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Booze-only container
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:21:28 am »

Its the stockpile that determines whats in the barrel.

Try setting the stockpile to DRINK (animal/plant) only, then you will only have booze in that stockpile (with the containers for them of course  :) )

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:21:50 am »

Just note that you can make large ROCK pots at a stonecrafter's shop.  Very easy to produce.

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:25:46 am »

Just note that you can make large ROCK pots at a stonecrafter's shop.  Very easy to produce.

I know. But my food production is so massive that it rapidly fills all pots and barrels.

Its the stockpile that determines whats in the barrel.

Try setting the stockpile to DRINK (animal/plant) only, then you will only have booze in that stockpile (with the containers for them of course  :) )

it's not quite the solution for my problem, honestly

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:28:35 am »

You can set food stockpiles to not use (or use a limited number) of barrels with the building tasks menu.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:41 am »

I just thought of brilliant idea of stopping food production.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:31 am »

I just thought of brilliant idea of stopping food production.
It sounds like your farms (and butchers) are undergoing foodsplosion - the point at which their production rate far exceeds the rate of consumption. In an area with elephants, my hunters often undergo foodsplosion very early on.

Are you using kitchens to prepare lavish meals? If not, you probably should. Lavish meals make dwarves happier, have higher value and (I think) are more resistant to decay/wear. They also make great tradegoods (low weight, high value) for purposes of siphoning off the foodsplosion pressure. Disallow prepared foods from going in barrels. They often won't fit anyway, but it makes finding them for transport to the depot easier (search 'roast', 'stew' and 'biscuit') and saves your barrels for raw ingredients and drinks.

Make sure you have a reserved barrel count that's high enough (I use 10 or more) so that there's always a barrel waiting to take on more booze.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:12:59 am by Nameless Archon »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:29:21 am »

You can only do the reverse.  Unglazed earthenware pots cannot hold liquid.  Stoneware and porcelain can hold liquid regardless if glazed or not.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.