Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?  (Read 3704 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: So I Flooded My Common Area... Help Me Find Out Why?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 02:16:11 am »

I thought a full bucket was the best state, as there are ten drinks before it's empty? I might be wrong, but one tile of water translates to 10 drinks from a bucket; a full bucket has 10 drinks plus a tile of 7 water, or you can call it a tile of 8 water units.

Automatic pumping, snazzy. I pump even my magma with dwarf power, I'm too lazy to be bothered with mechanics :p
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »

Pressure will not travel North/South through this. Someday Toady will fix this and there will much wailing and gnashing of teeth (although it will be somewhat muted due to, you know, being underwater and all)
Toady will not fix it, because this was done deliberately.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 12:23:25 pm »

For your current situation, the only real solution at this point is to set up a series of pumps to take water from the lowest point of your fort and deposit it on the surface in such a way that it can't flow back in. Try using a load of windmills to power a pump stack.

As for preventing this in future, I like my standard plumbing system I use in my forts:

It's basically a big shaft connected to a river or other body of water at the top, such that the main levels of my fort are next to a shaft of water with up to ~20 z pressure. I then have a number of floodgates connecting this high-pressure reservoir to various smaller (but still pressurized) tunnels on various z-levels. Each tunnel then has one or more low-pressure rooms connected to it by use of a floodgate and diagonal depressurizer. These rooms are typically used as wells or bathing pools. Running next to the main water shaft is an identical shaft without water (usually) which is also connected to the caverns via a fortification or vertical grating. Floodgates are hooked up such that the main reservoir shaft can be emptied into the refuse shaft and hence into the caverns. In addition, each water tunnel leading from the main shaft can be sealed off and emptied out in case of emergency (such as a drowning dwarf in a well). Some very crude diagrams are shown below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »

Ah, yes. Old SEGA music was so atmospheric. Sonic stage for every occasion. Aquatic Ruin indeed, that explains what water and "ohmygosh timer drowning ARRGH!" was doing in the old buildings. Some dwarves backed up the plumbing.

...Ecco games made you feel really alone and scared, didn't they? Amazing what they did with 4 (5?) simple synths and a drum track. Just listen to... oh, about any old Sonic music and you can feel how good it is. Pity that, while catchy, most of them are to fast and complex to hum along to.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »

I think this theme will suit your fort!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8OBlq_svBY

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 08:28:19 pm »

Hmm. Citation needed? Seems to me more like a leftover from back in the 2d days when everything was cardinal directions only. I can see using only cardinal directions as an optimization decision, but since the technique is so widely abused, there is always the possibility of that decision being reviewed...

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 12:26:12 pm »

Hmm. Citation needed?
I do not have. Just simple logic. To make more precise statement, while creation of this rule could be accidental, he deliberately allowed it to continue.

Fix to that would be very simple.
Depressurizing by diagonals is well-know technique for years. Toady surely know about it. I guess he was like "meh, why not". I agree with that, it is good to have some realiable way to nullify pressure, even if it is game-y in nature (as in arbitrary rule).
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:29 pm »

I can see from the pics that a cave in wouldn't work... too bad. I like to work in cave-in ready areas for infinite water sources....
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]