Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tolstoy  (Read 620 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tolstoy
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »

Has anyone on Dwarf Fortress actually read anything by Tolstoy? War and Peace? The Kingdom of God is Within you? He seems to have been a rather...exhausting...writer, but brilliant in his social commentary of the way the world works. I just finished the latter, which got him exocommunicated (an exocommunication which is still not rescended to this day; and which was emphatically reaffirmed on the recent anniversary of his death) - and converted Gandhi to nonviolence.

I found War and Peace to be a more difficult read, however. I kept getting bored and giving up.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Tolstoy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:40 pm »

I have read few of his short stories. I am going to read at least The Cossacks and Anna Karenina at some point. Unfortunately, my local library has only some "compressed" edition of War and Peace, which I frankly don't wanna read. It's the original edition or nothing for me, so I guess I have to find that from somewhere too.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tolstoy
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 08:58:47 pm »

war and peace, has a lot of padding , mainy as he was payd by the page.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG