Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Classes  (Read 8519 times)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Classes
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 06:20:27 am »

The graphics seem to be the main thing that turns new players away, plus the steep learning cliff.
Nope.
Steep learning cliff is okay, not every game needs easiness of Farmville. This game is not for everyone and this is fine.
DF have tilesets and I think they are sufficient to understand for new player what is happening.

Obtuse messy crap-on-stick called "interface" is reason no 1. Evidence is in comment thread for this annoucement and everywhere else. Shame that it will never be fixed.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:59 am »

I like DF being hard and complicated. It makes it unique. If it wasn't so hard to keep your dwarves from walking off a cliff, then seeing them die for a legitimate reason wouldn't feel so rewarding.
If DF is too hard for somebody, they should go back to playing My Little Pony or Warhammer 40K or something like that.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:04 am »

I like DF being hard and complicated. It makes it unique. If it wasn't so hard to keep your dwarves from walking off a cliff, then seeing them die for a legitimate reason wouldn't feel so rewarding.
If DF is too hard for somebody, they should go back to playing My Little Pony or Warhammer 40K or something like that.

DF isn't hard though. Complicate sure, but it's not hard.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 10:43:01 am »

just noticed that two posters are using poneys as avatars   :o

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30:11 am »

There's good news for all the Dwarf Fortress hipsters, DF will never, ever, be cool.

"Dwarf Fortress hipsters"?

That word truly has no meaning now.

Thank you for, at long last, eliminating the word "hipster" from the English language. I mean this with all sincerity. You have done good this day.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 12:04:08 pm »

just noticed that two posters are using poneys as avatars   :o

More than that. There's a whole different culture in the southern boards around here.

Bay 12 is already big enough to have subcultures. We've done more harm worrying about forum decay than forum decay's ever done. That's not actually true. VN was pretty bad. But still. It's never been nothing that we haven't been able to self/toady/kurtlemak regulate.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:43 am »

751 people on the day of the class. Big class is Big.
Yuuko: But how many of them are people who already know how to play and are just watching for the lulz?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »

I actually find a downside in DF gaining more popularity, although it is quite small.

This place, the forums will (eventually) be introduced to regular internet trash, and the community will never be the same again...

This game is highly resilient to those kind of people, since it requires patience, intelligence, imagination and creativity.
But a good troll requires all those same things.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:55 pm »

I actually find a downside in DF gaining more popularity, although it is quite small.

This place, the forums will (eventually) be introduced to regular internet trash, and the community will never be the same again...

This game is highly resilient to those kind of people, since it requires patience, intelligence, imagination and creativity.
Good thing there aren't a lot of good trolls out there. Just a lot of dumb ones.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »

Good thing there aren't a lot of good trolls out there. Just a lot of dumb ones.
If there were a lot of good trolls, with the aforementioned qualities, I would be prouder of society.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:30 pm »

Trolls are easy to defeat, just recruit a group of peasants and swarm them.  :P

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »

Duplicating raws will unlock the win scenarios for dwarf fortress. GO DO IT.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

For reference here's a link to the video. It's going on right now. I'm sure he won't mind a few people tagging along.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dwarf-fortress-class

Well that was short, he said he'll be getting a new computer so he can get better resolution. And he'll be showing it again next Wednesday (Aug 10)

SUMMARY : Just showed how to generate a world.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:17:38 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »

guy has really bad quality as of this post and this class is mostly set-up anyway. hopefully next is better.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3]