Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For every embark that looks perfect but has a aquifer....  (Read 2462 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
For every embark that looks perfect but has a aquifer....
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »

I punt a Dwarven Child into a elven forest retreat. That is all.
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: For every embark that looks perfect but has a aquifer....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:01:26 pm »

Mod out aquifers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:11:12 pm »

I really think it would do everyone some good to sit down and just punch your way through an aquifer. All it takes is ~15 extra pieces of wood and some digging. Now, I look at an aquifer, laugh, and say "free water!" It isn't all that hard.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:51 am »

I needs to practice aquifer breaking/utilisation.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:34 am »

Seriously, the most liberating thing I ever did in Dwarf Fortress was deciding I was going to start embarking on aquifers and keep practicing breaching them until I got it down.  I would recommend those practicing download an older version where you can see how many levels of aquifer there are so you can start with easier one level ones and its probably worth learning both the 'ring/plug' method and the pump method to see which you prefer (both have pros and cons).

These days with the pump method a single layer aquifer is no problem at all and I can punch through endless levels without major hassle (beyond all the time it takes).  The only special supplies you have to take (assuming there are trees on your embark) two (though its faster with four) pieces of useable stone (to make one or two pumps). 

So yes, with a minimum of two stones (and access to trees on embark) you can punch through literally any aquifer, regardless of number of layers.

Its great to learn for two reasons:

1) So you don't end up in situations like the OP, where you have an otherwise perfect embark but 'arrg! an aquifer!"

2) After you get used to it you may find you like aquifers.  I love them and actively seek them out, in fact I actually say "otherwise perfect embark but no aquifer, oh well keep looking".  They grant you endless fresh water to any point in your base with minimal work.  You can drain it to lower levels and if you are above the aquifer (using the soil layers) you can just pop a hole in and set up a well.  Its great for farming (not as big a deal now that they fixed underground dirt needing irrigated before it could be used), great for getting fresh water for emergency hydration, and if the mood strikes its great for traps.  They are an amazing and underutilized resource.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:35 am »

I really should learn these aquifer bypassing techniques, but the only one I understand is the "Hope you have an ore vein traveling through it and you can mine past it."

The rest just go over my head  ::)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:46:03 am »

I really think it would do everyone some good to sit down and just punch your way through an aquifer. All it takes is ~15 extra pieces of wood and some digging. Now, I look at an aquifer, laugh, and say "free water!" It isn't all that hard.

Not only free water, but also free drainage for the said water! Drowning pits are *easy* with aquifers.

(of course, if you embark somewhere with only partial aquifer you won't have to punch through it and may still use it as a water source/drain)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:47:37 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:52 am »

I really should learn these aquifer bypassing techniques, but the only one I understand is the "Hope you have an ore vein traveling through it and you can mine past it."

The rest just go over my head  ::)

Quantum Menace has an amazing method. I recommend it.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:41:40 am »

Can we skip the embark parameters and just skip to figuring out how to launch dwarven children into forest retreats with enough force to kill elves?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 02:42:14 am »

I punt a Dwarven Child into a elven forest retreat. That is all.

If you used a bridge-a-pult you could probably land the little bugger in the center of the local elven kingdom.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:41 am »

I breached an aquifer once with pumping. It was literally blood toil and many tears.  And I think 5 pumps were running. I attempted several pluggings but those ended even worse: No rock to plug over the site and several dead dorfs. I'd go with pumping but you need metal or smelting for that, don't you? The pipes can't be made from wood and rock, at least I didnt't figure out how.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:37 am »

No metal needed to build pumps. Every component can be made out of wood.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 02:55:25 am »

Having an aquifer makes it an even better embark.

Infinite water/drain that doesn't add lag ? It's great!

There are a number of methods published on the forum to deal with aquifer (I wrote one a whilte back). Check the Wiki too.

Once you learn to go through aquifers, you will love them...