Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Doom 2 Mapping  (Read 3233 times)

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Doom 2 Mapping
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »

Hey guys, MAP03 nearing completion. I'm just wondering if there's any way to basically make a teleporter that accepts only humans. Every linetag I'm using seems to take monsters with it as well. It's key to making the 'ending' fight of the level work like I want it to (although I will take monster teleporting as well if I have to.)

After I've fixed this it's basically just monster and ammo placement and I'm done! :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »

You might need to throw down a few lines that monsters can't cross and physically prevent them from entering the teleporter.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:21 am »

Cheers DarkerDark, but they'll be coming OUT of the teleporter too. I guess I'm happy with a little bit of recursive teleporting. ^^

Anyway, here's the 3rd map I've been working on for ages. It's too hard (although some of you will like that, I imagine) and it's too dark. It's also slightly unfinished (could do with more health and ammo placement near the end perhaps), but it's been sitting here for ages so I want it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/havzwueh1jjllh8/ERROR3.wad
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:05 pm »

Figures that a thread like this comes around when I stop frequenting the forums.

First, uploading to /idgames is pretty much the only way your maps are going to be seen by anyone. There is a standard TXT file you'll need to fill out that describes your map. There's a template on the site. Doomworld seems to be the most active community out there, not counting Doom3.

Doom mapping is pretty fun. You've reminded me that I've got a near-finished megaWAD that I should really push out the door. Mapping is easy once you get a few rules down; it doesn't take much doing just to doodle some interesting rooms on paper whenever ideas come to you, and translating them to the world in a matter of minutes. Nobody will really expect you to have mastered non-linear interconnected maps off the bat. Keep at it, though. You're doing really well for a beginner. When using the tools becomes second nature, it'll be easier to approach maps from a conceptual angle.

One thing, though: it looks like you're using Doom1 resources in a Doom2 map. You should sort that out before you release it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]