Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It was the perfect embark, until...  (Read 2951 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It was the perfect embark, until...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »

The civ tab post embark only shows civilizations who have a member currently within your area, not neighbors.

That's fair enough, but is it possible then that I hadn't any visitors in 3 years other than the host civ? I'd hate to think I mistakenly cancelled that embark, it was glorious..

It's not entirely unusual though to go a long time between visits, I've had the first "foreign" non dwarfy visit after about 4 years.
If I focus on metalsmithing and some types of crafts it seems that Elf's and humans might appear sooner.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:29 pm »

If you remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag from Goblins, they won't AUTOMATICALLY be at war with everyone. They're still dicks, but there's a very small chance that they'll be neutral. I wonder what their trade caravans would hold?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »

For the whole no-enemies thing, you should open up the caverns (levels 2+3 if possible), and get all sorts of FUN creatures from down there.  Then theres the clowns..

Personally though, I almost always run with the Fortress Defense mod on.  Adds so much fun to the game its not even funny.  Nowadays, in vanilla, goblin sieges are nothing lol.  Try fighting elephant-riding, iron + steel wielding Ferric Elf Bowmen, Swordsmen, and Hammermen. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

iamrawr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »

If you remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag from Goblins, they won't AUTOMATICALLY be at war with everyone. They're still dicks, but there's a very small chance that they'll be neutral. I wonder what their trade caravans would hold?

The wiki says that they sell mostly food and cloth

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:34 pm »

On the topic of civs not showing up, I got to about my 3rd year with a fortress but no caravans other then home civ showed up. Did Toady change how they work? Like you have to be really producing a lot of things first or something?

Before I embarked, I checked and I had elves, humans, and dwarves as neighbors and not at war. Using a custom race.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 10:26:54 pm »

Let me guess... it had cobaltite? I think that counts as a metal.

Actually yeah...
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

thepowrofcheese

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:05 am »

This happened to me just yesturday. It was my first fort in the latest version, found a good spot, lots of flux and sand and grass. But zero iron, zero tin, only copper, silver, and zinc  :(
I didn't personally mod it, but someone who duplicated raws managed to embark as living trees that ate wagon meat.

That led me to the conclusion that duplicating raws is like feeding your computer LSD.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 12:01:55 pm »

My next embark had lots of zink. I just love zink.

I've changed the way I think about embarks. I have come to the conclusion that not many sites have iron ore, so I'm going to rely on traps until I get goblinite. Traps and wooden bolts. Getting a good metal isn't reliable enough to be worth it.

When I look for a site now, I want flux, sand (for late game), a mountain to dig into, lots of trees and a river next to the mountain. My main renewable will probably be obsidian. I'm also considering modding obsidian to be flux xD.

I also started embarking with lots and lots of dogs. I want a population explosion STAT. Canceling medical supplies gave me lots of points.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »

I once had nothing but copper and zinc, so I made Brass a weapon-capable material. It's hardly "weapon grade", but it's better than copper.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 09:41:00 pm »

How common is it for people to actually get iron and flux at the same time? with minerals set to everywhere that must still be like 5% of embarks...

My new embark has a huge layer of obsidian. No flux. Only metal is zinc (again).

But I can mostly trade for things I need. I think. I haven't been attacked yet. And my mayor wants 'black bronze.' Screw him, he has a royal bedroom.

I can't actually remember the last embark with iron I had...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:06:26 pm by crekit »

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 09:52:53 pm »

nice and flat, until the cliff! Then I start digging. And all I have is copper ores, with some lead and silver. FML

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »

Perfect embark. Multiple metals shallow and deep, volcano, stream, flux, clay...
But it has salt water.
Meh, I can live with it.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.
Pages: 1 [2]