Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Log Question  (Read 613 times)

AlteredTomorrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Combat Log Question
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:47 pm »

I'm wondering if there is any way to change the combat log to have it show the names of entities that are attacking/being attacked, rather than just showing "human maceman, human axeman, etc."  It can get very confusing at times trying to determine who is hitting who, especially when companions are involved.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Log Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »

I know. I've gotten reports where I only had an axeman as a companion, and he faced another axeman. I got "The Axeman hacks The Axeman in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc!" and I thought, 'Aw, shit. My only companion's dead, and I've got 6 bandits to kill'.

One good way is to either give them profession names like military ranks (I did that once) or to keep a +sharp+ eye on their weapons and their materials. If your swordsman buddy is wielding a *bronze short sword*, and another swordsman enemy he is thwacking away at is wielding a -copper two-handed sword-, you'll (sort of) know who is who. It's easier to understand if it's goblins or elves ambushing you.

AlteredTomorrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »

One good way is to either give them profession names like military ranks

If you do that will it show your custom name rather than "axeman" etc?

Edit:  Nvm, tested it myself.  This works as a workaround though the grammar of it all is rather amusing. :P Thanks for the help, I hope this is something they may add in the future though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:56:12 pm by AlteredTomorrow »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »

Yes. For example, if you've got two swordsmen fighting each other, and one of them is your companion, you can give his profession name a random military rank, like, say, sergeant. If you do this, your companion swordsman fight will show up like this:

The Sergeant slashes The Swordsman in the head and the severed part sails off in an arc! The Swordsman has been struck down.

Then it will be a hell of a lot less confuzzling.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »

The color coding tells you exactly what is going on. All actions done by your allies will be of one color, all done by the enemy to your allies another color. The only valid excuse is being severely color blind, or actually blind.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:19:19 pm »

The color coding tells you exactly what is going on. All actions done by your allies will be of one color, all done by the enemy to your allies another color. The only valid excuse is being severely color blind, or actually blind.
Ouch...