Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash on targeting ettin blood?  (Read 848 times)

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Crash on targeting ettin blood?
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:41:15 pm »

Yeah, me again... Problem here. I have this two headed ettin right? That in itself is a problem. But the real problem is with it's blood.

No, it's not poison.

Being my first combat, I pause a lot. And check everyone's status. Problem is, if the ettin gets blood on anything and I target it, it shows up as something like... "Ornal the ettin adventurer scribe monk blo" cut off by being too long a name. And then my game crashes.

It's giving my computer symptoms! What can I do about it?
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on targeting ettin blood?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:43:43 pm »

Common issue caused by a string overflow.  It only mainly occurs with military blood, as it gets attached its whole list of titles and such.  If you're using TrueType Font (which I think is the main crash source) then try using a different font.  Check the DFFD, I uploaded a Huffy font that has never crashed for me, and has working ☼ and ≡ and ♂ and ♀ symbols even!

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »

Would zooming out work? Ill try science it...

<<Soon to be edit with answer>>

Zooming out didn't work. Didn't even get to the blood this time, crashed when I tried to move onto it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:58:43 pm by crekit »

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »

Yea I have this happen to me all the time.. I've just started using dfhack to clean up all the blood off people and sometimes off of the ground.  Though, I must admit, I love the blood smeared grass..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

crekit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »

Fixed it by turning off whatever the other person said to turn off.