Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Euclidean Atom Graphics Processing - End of the Polygon?  (Read 10407 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Euclidean Atom Graphics Processing - End of the Polygon?
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:57:52 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4&feature=player_embedded

Wasn't sure if this was a GD topic, but since it's all about game engines....

I don't claim to know enough about graphics to completely understand what he's talking about. But I do understand the nature of polygons in graphics, and his claim is essentially this: rather than constructing shapes in an engine out of triangles to create the final form, the basic unit of Euclidean's engine is an atom, a single unit of tiny size. When they pack 500,000 or more of these atoms into a single object, you get a realistic looking shape that doesn't have angular, jagged edges. Their current island that's a kilometer in size has over 8? trillion atoms in it. The thing converts straight from Maya and 3DS so modelers using it basically have no poly count restrictions anymore. (A full engine would mean an entire level could be built with no poly count restriction...a tasty prospect.)

To give you an idea of what this actually means...the ground is composed of several million atoms, so direct when you get close to it is actually a bunch of globes resting on top of each other. They're also doing object scanning and direct rendering, which isn't new. But because they're not restricted by poly count, the item is almost fully reproduced, whereas with polygons the poly counts were so high they couldn't realistically be used.

I have my doubts because someone still has to make this usable from a developer's end, even with their SDK. And there's all sorts of considerations for collision, path finding, physics, ect....But if this can actually run in a game engine at good FPS.....it could revolutionize 3d graphics engines.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Euclidean Atom Graphics Processing - End of the Polygon?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:01:36 pm »

Collision, pathfinding and physics wouldn't benefit from this, I don't think.

I've heard about this before (there was a thread ages ago), it could work for graphics but so far since it hasn't been tried in actual game, it isn't clear how well it would work.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:19:41 pm »

Yeah they had a press release a year ago and then went dark, but they're back now and saying their SDK should be ready in another year? or so.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »

Aaannnnddd there's a thread on it in GD.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=90149.0