Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chief Medical Officer personality?  (Read 1631 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chief Medical Officer personality?
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:31:44 am »

I'd prefer to have a doctor who likes helping people, but does that trait actually make the dwarf more efficient in the hospital or is it just flavor-text?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Chief Medical Officer personality?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:40:09 am »

In my experience, a doctor who likes to help others is much more likely to do his job promptly.  Other personality traits, like jumping into action immediately versus deliberating a long time before acting, also help.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:09:38 pm »

Personality definitely matters.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »

Someone actually posted a story about a medical dwarf who had traits that essential meant he hated everyone and everything, and how he amputated both lungs from a patient suffering from a broken foot because of 'rot'...
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:50:54 pm »

Someone actually posted a story about a medical dwarf who had traits that essential meant he hated everyone and everything, and how he amputated both lungs from a patient suffering from a broken foot because of 'rot'...

Urist McAnkleSprain: "Doctor! Doctor! I got kicked by a horse and broke my right foot!"
Urist McApatheticDoctor: "Why should I care?"
Urist McAnkleSprain: "Cause you're the doctor!"
Urist McApatheticDoctor: *sigh* "Fine... get on the traction bench."
Urist McAnkleSprain: *climbs up and straps self in* "... Say. Why do I need to be on a traction bench?"
Urist McApatheticDoctor: *pulls out artifact battleaxe* "If you weren't strapped down, you might move during the procedure." *amputates the patients head*

URIST MCANKLESPRAIN CANCELS FLEE IN TERROR: TOO INJURED

You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:54:10 pm »

Oh wow.  Learn something new every day when it comes to DF.  I suppose I should look more carefully at my Leader's personality, too!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:00:42 pm »

I love this game for this level of detail.  Its just amazing how it goes so far into detail with their personality, and thus it might affect their job performance in a negative way.. like having an unimaginative and uncreative person doing engraving.  Or.. someone prone to enraging, impatient, and has a poor focus being a surgeon.  Its just awesome.

But, having a job and personality that don't mix.. makes some real FUN story potential.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

I was lucky enough to get a dwarf that has these traits:

very rarely sick, quite durable, strong, and slow to tire

LIKES SHORT SWORDS AND SHIELDS

She has a great affinity for language, very good creativity and a sum of patience, but little will power and quite poor focus

guess who my new militia commander is?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 01:23:14 pm »

I know for a fact if they like helping others that giving patients food will generate a happy thought.  If they dislike helping others, they'll get an unhappy thought from giving food or water.

I don't pay a TON of attention to personality traits and the like when deciding who does what and I seem to get along just fine.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 02:32:49 pm »

If I remember right, said doctor also had no skill in medicine either.

EDIT: Found it!
welp I just did a bit of testing
A 0 skill medic with diagnose turned on, who barely cared for others with no empathy just diagnosed a patient with rotten lungs (for a small cut on thier arm) and then removed both lungs.  He did not survive the operation.  It seems that skill-less diagnoses can give false results.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:31:21 pm »

That is Awesome!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.