Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead World?  (Read 1095 times)

Moska1167

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead World?
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:11:49 pm »

I was playing around with Legends Viewer and noticed on the timeline charts that most world events cease right after the world is generated.  Wars no longer continue and very little(if not anything) occurs on the other side of the world while the player is mucking about in adventure or fortress mode.  It seems that new events only occur around the player or are influenced by him/her.  It was a tad depressing to find this out as it makes the world feel pretty much dead.  Someone tell me I am wrong. 

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead World?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »

Nah, you're right.  Except for a few things most parts of world-gen stop after the generation is complete.  World-gen continuing after that point is a future development goal (I think Release 5 on the Caravan Arc map, if that still holds, involves that stuff) so it's not in there yet.  Needless to say, that would have a huge impact on making the same world interesting to play in since you could very well shape its development with your forts/adventurers.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead World?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:16:31 pm »

That's the way of all worlds. You see, Dwarf Fortress has two stages right now.

1) World gen, where a bunch of interesting things happen. But right now it's mostly just text! Those wars and yadda yadda, they weren't ever completely simulated "behind the scenes" in games. It's just a simple event in world gen with numbers and names and tallies.
2) Actual play, where world gen ceases, and the only things you see happening are the things programmed in -- which is, right now, nothing except what you do. No elves will be eaten by dragons or anything. Even though Dwarf Mode passes the time, world gen events no longer occur.

In Release Five of this set of upcoming releases, we're expecting to see certain world gen things moved to actual play. A living world, if you will. Ideally, at least by 1.0, everything in world gen can take place around you.