Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sand spam  (Read 702 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
sand spam
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

my games has begun spamming:
[dwarf name] [dwarf job] cancels collect sand: job item lost or destroyed.
i have plety of bags and an area designated for sand collection.

EDIT: i tried canceling the jos and setting them. it worked but im still worried that i got the same message 186 times in a row

[ November 23, 2007: Message edited by: thatguyyaknow ]

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: sand spam
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

It could be some pathing. Check if you had raised a drawbridge or something of the kind. I know it shouldn't continuously cause spam even in that situation, but that's the only thing I can think of...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

Sorry to dredge up a rather old one, but I have a similar problem, and I am quite certain it's not pathing.  I have a massive pile of sandbags right next to a large sand collection area.

Basically, I have a nice magma glass operation going.  My whole economy is based on it.  It worked perfectly for quite some time.  Recently, however, it has begun to cause some problems.  I couldn;t figure out why, but the game would momentarily slow to a snail's pace, then speed up to 100FPS again as it usually is.  When I checked, I found this:

... ... hmm, well I can't figure out how to get pictures into forum posts, so I will just have to tell you.

I found that the reason it would slow down so much was because the system was spamming collect sand failures.  "Dunat lilarnish, Farmer cancels Collect Sand: Job item lost or destroyed.  x809" ... sometimes it's x300, sometimes x100, sometimes 1000+, but the announcement screen is filled with these reports, of collect sand cancellations.  One of the wierd things is that, despite the high number of cancellations, all the glass furnaces I built (12) could only hold 120 total calls for sand, though they are supposed to be interspersed with 'make glass blocks' and such.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

I've had this before, too, back on 38a. The strange part is that when the job item lost or destroyed error was given, the collect sand job set to repeat didn't clear itself. I think it started after a big tantrum spiral, and it appeared to have fixed itself after I destroyed and remade my large set of magma glass furnaces near where the bags were stored. The entrance had a large fenced area around it with drawbridges that were closed most of the time and the forges were all underground, so no bags could have gotten outside under any normal means. Best I can figure is a tantruming dwarf threw a bag onto one of the inaccessible magma forge squares but it not getting auto-forbidden.

You generally can figure out where the spam's coming from if you pause the game when the spam starts and look for a forge where the task isn't currently active, then just remove and re-add the task if it isn't put on there by the manager. Should at least stop it for a short while.

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: ein Syndication ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

I'm almost sure there's a problem with pathing to one of your free bags.
I.E. I had a strange bug (I cannod duplicate it though) where it said something like "distance -16782" to objects abovestairs when I made a ramp inaccessible by digging walls around it.

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository