Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving Water to the wounded is being RETARDED  (Read 436 times)

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giving Water to the wounded is being RETARDED
« on: July 10, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

...but apparently he can pick up JUST the water in his hands and carry it to the food stockpile.

While playing around on a glacier map, one of my miners fell asleep outside and woke up with yellow feet. I built a bed, and a bucket (used the last piece of wood from the single wagon to make a piece of charcoal), and had my idle peasant carry her to the bed.

She got thirsty, and started whining for a drink. The peasant taking care of her took the bucket, went outside, and got some water from the frozen ice.

I hadn't hit the river yet, or else he probably would have went there instead.

So, he takes the bucket of water to the wounded dwarf, and drops in in front of her, and it spills. He picks up the water, takes it to the food stockpile, and then goes back to put the bucket in the furniture stockpile.

This cycle has been going on for like half a season, and now the wounded dwarf is pretty close to dying of either thirst or starvation, because it seems like my peasant isn't going to give her food until he gets the water to her first.

Anybody experience this before? And if so, is there any way to stop the loop so my dwarf can get some water?

Could it have to do with the peasant getting the water from the glacier itself?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Giving Water to the wounded is being RETARDED
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

The water is freezing.  The current version doesn't call it ice.  You need to get the water grabbing job to use the inside river somehow if you want it not to freeze.  They aren't very smart about it, of course.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:04:00 am »

Why not just let dwarves be given ice to 'drink?'  They can dissolve it in their mouth or something...  it seems odd to have a dwarf dying of thirst with a chunk of ice on the ground within reach.

[ July 11, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:48:00 am »

That's a fine idea, Aquillion. Of course that would take slightly longer than just drinking water and might cause mild unpleasant feelings to the dwarf.

Bajuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:01:00 am »

Aren't you supposed to chew ice if you are sick anyway?
loodgates are hard.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

I was going to try to get to the river really quickly in order to have them get water there, but as soon as I loaded up the game she died.

Now THAT'S some bad healthcare. You come in with frostbitten feet (which the next dwarf who slept outside healed from within a day or two) and die of thirst.

Oh well, more mule tallow roasts for the rest!

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Why not just let dwarves be given ice to 'drink?'  They can dissolve it in their mouth or something...  it seems odd to have a dwarf dying of thirst with a chunk of ice on the ground within reach.

[ July 11, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]</STRONG>

Dwarf cancels drink. Tongue stuck to ice block.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Dwarf cancels remove ice block from tongue:  Fallen out of bed.

Dwarf cancels get back into bed:  Ice block stuck to cold floor.

Dwarf cancels unstick block (attached to tongue) from floor:  Knocked over table with candle on it.

Dwarf cancels fix table:  On fire.

Dwarf cancels douse fire:  Tongue burning.

Dwarf cancels douse tongue:  Tongue stuck to burning ice.

Ekim Fallowfields, Macedwarf, has died.

Anki Hardrock cancels get body:  Stuck to burning ice.

Horvi Deepdelve cancels get body: Stuck to burning ice.

Roi Axencloven cancels get body:  Stuck to burning ice.

Ukim Hammerswift cancels ignore burning ice:  Stuck to burning ice.

Anki Hardrock, Miner, has died.

Horvi Deepdelve, Blacksmith, has died.

Roi Axencloven, Miner, has died.

Ukim Hammerswift, Farmer has died.

(etc, etc.  What eventually kills the fortress is the ice melting; every dwarf in the fort then starts spamming "Cancels douse burning ice:  Can't find ice", to the exclusion of things like feeding themselves.)

[ July 12, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

It's just a matter of rewriting the job.  The ice water is a "glob" item rather than a "misc. liquid" item, and they need to learn how to drink globs or something.  But jobs like this will have to come in over time to make glacier fortresses more survivable.  There are currently many unsurvivable environments in the new version.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!