Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SuperGhosts!  (Read 625 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SuperGhosts!
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:42:55 pm »

Welcome to SuperGhosts! A game inspired by a James Thurber short story.

This is a game of vocabulary, cleverness, concentration, and visualization. The rules are simple:

• The game starts with 3 or more players.
  • The object of the game is to be the last player standing, forcing all the other players to become GHOST'd. That is, to make them accrue the letters of the word GHOST until the word is complete, and they lose.
  • A player gets a letter when they MAKE A WORD or BLUFF and are CHALLENGED
  • One and two letter words do not count for getting a word, although it they may be CHALLENGED.

The game progresses in turns, with each player getting a turn before returning the turn to the first player to act. The things you can do are simple:

• The beginning player starts the game off with a letter, and the turn is passed.
  • The next player may attach any letter to the front or the back of the first letter.
  • The next player then continues, by placing any letter at the front or the back of the two letters. He must be mindful, though, at this point, as this is where a player can be get a part of GHOST.

For example: if the first letter was K, and the second letter was a W to the front of K, making it WK. The third player then places an additional W at the end of it, making it WKW.

Now, the fourth player has a choice, he may place any letter at the front or back of the three letters (though not inbetween), or he may CHALLENGE the validity of the letters as part of a word.

He CHALLENGES, and the third player reveals that WKW is part of the word "aWKWard", and the fourth player gets a G. If the third player was not able to provide that WKW was part of the word AWKWARD, then he would be the one that gets the G, the first letter of GHOST. Once a challenge happens, the word starts over regardless of the outcome of the challenge, and the challenging player would be the one placing first letter this time around.

Another example: the game has progressed until the letters on the board are UNBUSINESSLIK. With no way out, the player whose turn it is must add the final E at the end to get UNBUSINESSLIKE. Any player at any time may accuse the words on the 'board' of being a word, and thus that player would get a part of GHOST.

So, in short, if a player creates a word, or fails a challenge, they get a part of GHOST. When it is a players turn, they may either place a letter at the beginning or end of the letters on the board, or challenge the validity of the previous player's letter, as making the phrase part of no word in existence.

Once that player has gotten the G, H, O, S, and T. They lose.

So, in shorter, the object is to keep adding letters to the bunch of letters on the board, while trying to keep the letters on the board part of a word that is in existence, while also trying to screw up the next player into either creating a word, or bluffing mistakenly.

For simplicity's sake, only English words recognized by Dictionary.com will be counted for making words. Hyphenated and compound words are accepted, but the appropriate punctuation has to be mentioned as one's letter placement.

I hope that my explanation doesn't sound disjointed or leaves any details uncovered. Is anyone else game? I'd like to play this with atleast 3 or 4 other players if possible.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: SuperGhosts!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:28:16 pm »

i'll play.. i guess... didnt really get the rules that well.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬