Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Could be a great game but...  (Read 768 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could be a great game but...
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

I once got a lizard attack spring year 1. The axedwarf who was getting a drink from the well killed all of them then went to chop more trees.

[ July 06, 2007: Message edited by: Grek ]

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

Do you have any dedicated growers to tend the fields? Set your best growers to have NO other tasks at all, and make sure their bedroom is close to the fields.

As far as the dying of thirst goes, do you see them drinking at your wells? Do you have any injured dwarfs lying in their beds and nobody tending to them? Are the wells blocked (surrounded by rocks or furniture? Is there a portion of your fortress that has a blocked hallway or locked door that you might have not noticed, and the dwarfs on the other side are dying?

I also recommend building a kitchen. Brew some of the plump helmets into wine - you get 5 wine for each plump helmet, and then you can combine a plump helmet and a wine into a meal. So you get 3 meals for every 2 plump helmets!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>I can't even remember the last time I built a well...they're a security hazard and they just get ignored in favor of booze anyway.</STRONG>

really?  i find that no matter how much booze i have, someone always wants a drink of water.  also, i think water is whats used when bringing drinks to the wounded.

having a well stops those water-seeking dwarfs from wandering out to obscure spots on the cave river to get a drink.  and then drowning.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

My fortress, 0 wells and cave river sealed by bridges.  If the dwarves really need water for wounded they can go to the outside river.  The biggest reason in my mind that I can do it that way is population control.

I see it as my dwarves saying to the caravan, "We are pretty poor here.  Yeah, 20 years and we still can't manage to make anything to trade you for those lovely meats."

We don't trade and other dwarves just figure the fortress sucks.  My population sits at 25 with 5 nobles, 10 champion marksdwarves (now wielding hammers) lounging about, and 10 nearly legendary everything dwarves.

It is a style type thing.  I would definitely suggest that during your first few fortresses, while you learn your way around the game set the population cap in the init.txt to 20.  Then when you are a little more comfortable raise it.  You can make that change even in the middle of running a current fortress.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 06:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by hactar1:
<STRONG>You can also still fish, but not from the outside river.</STRONG>

Thats actually not true. When the river freezes it will cancel all current fishing jobs. I have seen fisherdwarves reactivate the job and continue fishing outside.

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

How much liquor do you guys brew? Once I managed to reach 500-something drinks on the Stocks screen, but even then the 8 wells my 180-odd fortress had were always in use.

Dwarf (looking at the bloody bodies of the lizard men lying around the well): A-and I just drank out of that thing... *HURL*

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

Only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at once, and if you have ~500 drinks, and maybe 10 drinks per barrel, that is only 50 barrels. So if half of your 180 dwarves get thirsty at once, 40 need to find wells, the river, or wait.
Pages: 1 [2]