Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma flood from a volcano.... Help?  (Read 623 times)

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
Magma flood from a volcano.... Help?
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:28:44 am »

I just started a new fortress on a volcano because I wanted to see what magma was like. Once summer came around I decided to hook me up some magma forges. After channeling the necessarily path I let the magma loose. Turns out however There was a gap I didn't notice...

So to summarize I flooded the entrance to my fort. With magma. Anyone to drain it? No casualties BTW But I only have 7 dwarfs to work with and I was forced to seal the only entrance to my fortress. I need those migrants. Help please.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:44:57 am by gamewizardinnc »
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma flood from a volcano.... Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:50 am »

Can you make a hole in the roof of your fort and use that as your new entrance?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:50 pm »

First thing's first: make a new, well guarded entrance to let the migrants in and keep the gobbos out.

Second, stop the flow of the magma.  Magma floods are a lot easier to stop, because the magma will never rise above the level you cut into the tube at (unless you're pumping it out).  Probably the easiest way to do this is by pouring water over it.  Do you have a river?  If so, pull some water out of there and shoot it at the encroaching magma.

Then, once you've stopped its advance, you can obsidianize the rest of it or just use it as a magma reservoir for fun traps or a magma industry.  :)
At last, she is done.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:33:28 pm »

Make a succession game out of this :D

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

You can use a pit/pond designation and a water bucket brigade to pour water on it and turn it to obsidian.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:12:32 pm »

When using buckets I think you need to drop the water from at least 1 z-level above the surface of the magma for it to make obsidian instead of just turning to steam... or so I've read.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 07:51:32 pm »

Yes, it needs to fall through a full z-level or more of open space.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.