Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite Flavor of Linux?  (Read 591 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Favorite Flavor of Linux?
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »

I just inherited an old box that I'd like to install Linux on.  I don't have any grandiose plans; I expect to use it for word processing, internet surfing, casual gaming, and as a music server.  The last time I messed around with Linux was in 2001 with Mandrake (before it changed to Mandriva).  I know a little bit about the OS, but I am not an expert by any stretch.

Do you have any distro recommendations?  The hardware is about 8 years old, so I think the new Ubuntu distros may be too taxing on the graphics.  I'd also like something with a relatively intuitive interface because I'm hoping to sell my GF on it.  I'm open to obscure and fun distros as long as they're usable, so hit me with what you got!
At last, she is done.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Flavor of Linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:54:32 pm »

I'm using Lubuntu on a virtualbox right now, it's lauded specifically as being less taxing graphically than Ubuntu, so it might be worth a look.
*Hugs*

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:17 pm »

I just loaded up Lubuntu.  Easy install, straightforward interface.  Looks like it'll do the trick.  Now to get DF going on it  :)
At last, she is done.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:35:31 am »

If you don't mind I would recommend you try out some of the more alternative window managers, look up some of the tiling ones (DWM e.t.c.) They can be suprisingly fun/nice to use and you can always easily switch back.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...