Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Combat Extraction  (Read 1316 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Combat Extraction
« on: July 29, 2011, 02:23:43 am »

Now, we all know that dwarves can be caught by cage traps if they fall unconscious on top of one.  My question is thus, can we use this to get our dwarves out of combat alive?  If combat is going badly, a dwarf will likely "give in to pain" at some point.  Now I'm not sure if that counts as unconscious for the purposes of setting off a cage trap, but if it does, then there's a way to instantly remove any dwarf who gets too injured to continue fighting.  Simply have a planned battlefield of cage traps; any dwarf who gives into pain is suddenly in a cage and out of an attacker's reach.  Heck, depending on how injuries interface with cages, you might have Urist in a medical stasis field until hospitalization can be safely performed.  Of course, such a plan only allows 1 evac per tile, but still, a dwarf saved is one you can let die later.

Is there anyone out there with a caged [TRAPAVOID] creature willing to sacrifice a few dwarves in the name of !!SCIENCE!!?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Combat Extraction
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:27:03 am »

Now, I'm sure people have mentioned doing this before, so I guess it's definitely very possible! :) Bit hard to get your dwarves to collapse in the right spot, though. It should work fairly well against trapavoid-ing things, as long as they don't just instantly kill the dwarf.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:33:58 am »

Would a battlefield covered in cage traps really be a battlefield? Most attackers would just run in and be trapped.

Also, this would probably work. I don't have any way to test it currently.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:42:51 am »

I unintentionally did that once, where a macedwarf fell into a cagetrap during a battle. I let him out, but the dwarves would not recover wounded. He could not walk cuz of an injury and I had to make a cave in to get him in the hospital. He died of infection from the delay. I think this needs testing for bugs before you try it.

tl;dr : I think dwarves who have been injured, fell in a cage will need to be re injured to be hospitalized.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:09:58 am »

I unintentionally did that once, where a macedwarf fell into a cagetrap during a battle. I let him out, but the dwarves would not recover wounded. He could not walk cuz of an injury and I had to make a cave in to get him in the hospital. He died of infection from the delay. I think this needs testing for bugs before you try it.

tl;dr : I think dwarves who have been injured, fell in a cage will need to be re injured to be hospitalized.

I've had this bug too, altough it didn't involve cage traps, my militia commander seemed to ignore the fact that he had lost an arm and a leg and several facial features and just continuedon with his daly routine for a superisingly long time,just going around horryifying people . All this despite the exellent hospital facilities I'm always forced to create.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:05:34 pm »

Nah your commander was doing everything right--severed limbs rarely demand medical attention (imagine that diagnosing session--"help my leg doc!""ugh...the cave croc is...not done with it"),  basically a dwarf with no arms and no leg but also no infection is as untroubled as one can be. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 12:13:07 pm »

Save for the apparent bug of  uncaged not getting healed this would work great fort marks dwarves standing behind fortifications.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:28:06 pm »

I've had multiple dwarves lose limbs or such things and not ever go to the hospital.  Apparently getting your hand chopped off requires less medical attention then getting your foot stabbed.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 12:44:58 pm »

Idea:
Code: [Select]
_____~>
  I   X
__I___< (hospital this way)

Decage the dwarves on the top layer (the ~ is a bridge and allows pathing but not support). The ones who can move will, and the rest can be dropped two floors. This might not work if dwarves actually need to be reinjured and not just knocked around and stunned, but oh well, they still have a better chance than if they'd gone unconscious against an enemy worth this setup.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:59 pm »

I unintentionally did that once, where a macedwarf fell into a cagetrap during a battle. I let him out, but the dwarves would not recover wounded. He could not walk cuz of an injury and I had to make a cave in to get him in the hospital. He died of infection from the delay.

I'm sorry, I was just awestruck with the mental image of a Dorf medic yelling "There's no time to take 'im through the fort the regular way! BLOW THE CHARGES!" And him and his medical team and the patient riding the earth itself through sheer Dorfen awesome until they crash into the hospital. Most metal rescue ever.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 03:22:08 pm »

We could use a retracting bridge as the battlefield, the level under it would be filled with cagetraps. If something goes wrong, the fight can be ended with a pull of a lever.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:40:11 pm »

I've got tons of caged trapavoid.  Don't want to test, but I'll email a save to somebody if they just need caged trapavoid to test.

One of the problems that might come up with this is that it's really, really dangerous to cage dwarves.  Right now, caged dwarves don't show up on any assignment or pitting screens, meaning the only way to get them out of the cage that I can see is to build their cage and link it to a lever.  In the time it takes for that to happen, it's really easy for them to get dehydrated and die.

Now, the only way I can imagine this being useful is for fighting a bunch of trapavoids.  FBs aren't so tough except for their syndromes, and caging the wounded isn't going to protect against that.  There's of course another large group of trapavoids that you might think about building an arena for, but those guys are so huge that they don't tend to cause a lot of passed out dwarves-- dwarves just kind of die.  And cages still get covered in dust, and melted in death explosions, and catch on fire, and fighting those guys takes a long time, and it's not so simple to just get them to go someplace else so you can recover your caged dwarves.

Wait a minute....  You know where I might do this?  On a marksdwarf wall.  It would be effective enough there.  Any to pass out get caged.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 03:45:28 pm »

It may just be me but it seems caged dwarfs starve/get parched faster than usual.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

I have a different idea for what to do when a battle goes tits up. Like a dwarven orbital cannon. Gonna need to do some testing to see if i can make it resettable without lots of linking to levers though. Make it so you can trigger different lines of drops similar to a creeping barrage but instead of covering an attack it can cover a retreat. It's one of the projects on the long finger though as im currently building an above ground housing project which is gonna take a while.

The whole caging thing seems like it would be just easier for you to cage the enemies instead of your dwarves then have them duke it out in an arena where you can control it if you dwarf is losing.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.