Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: POWDER and other roguelikes on the go  (Read 1599 times)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
POWDER and other roguelikes on the go
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:01 am »

So I've been playing POWDER.

It's essentially a short homebrew roguelike optimized for the GBA system; however it has been ported to run on the DS, PSP, Windows, Mac, Linux, and iPhone.  It's not as full-featured as other roguelikes like Nethack, Dungeon Crawl, or Angband, but it's still a solid game for the platform it was designed for, and I find it more enjoyable than Izuna, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, and even the DS port of Nethack.

The lack of diagonal movement might put off a few hardcore roguelike players, however.

But I've also been looking for other good roguelikes that I can play on my DS, and so far, this is the only one I like.  Anyone know of any other good ones?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: POWDER and other roguelikes on the go
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:19 am »

I think there was some kiddie roguelike called Chocobo Dungeon based off of the Final Fantasy series.

If you don't like any of the mystery dungeon games, there's not a huge amount of variety.

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:59 am »

The lack of diagonal movement might put off a few hardcore roguelike players, however.

You can move diagonally if you follow the dress code of H'ruth. This game has a lot of unique interesting things, I love it xD
I will ascend one day.... soon =P
She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:36 am »

I used to play this on my DS before the shoulder buttons broke. Not a bad game at all.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:25:41 pm »

Try Shiren the Wanderer for DS before you write off the Mystery Dungeon games entirely, as it brings proper roguelike difficulty to the table.
If you want to just try it out, you could always emulate the SNES version.