Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't figure some of the military out  (Read 874 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Can't figure some of the military out
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:54:46 pm »

Well, hello guys! I'm quite new here, and while most of the game is rather simple [Once you figure it out...] I can't seem to get a military up and running. My main problem is that even though I have disabled all civilian labours on my militia, they often spend their time on break, or they have "No job" listed. When they do train however, they do so at an incredibly low rate. In two months, my dwarf has gained 20 XP with his iron battle axe.

My question is this: Is there any way to increase training speed if I don't have experienced dwarves to teach? Barring danger rooms, that is, because I consider those an exploit, even if they do kind of make sense.

Thanks in advance!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't figure some of the military out
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »

Go under Schedules, and make sure that the minimum for the train order is less than the number of dwarves in the squad, otherwise all they'll do is Individual Combat Drills.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:09:11 pm »

Also, make sure thier alert is set to Active/Training, not Inactive - check the alerts tab.
This is a blank sig.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »

A couple things might be causing it:

Make sure the squad is set to active/training in Alerts. m->a, then highlight Active/Training, the squad, and enter to set it.

Make sure your squad is actually assigned to a barracks for training.  Find whatever object you used to designate the barracks, then hit q, highlight the squad, then t.

Look at their schedule.  (m->s) How many months out of the year are they training? You generally need to give new recruits some time off. You also may need to edit the orders if they're trying to train more than the minimum number of soldiers in the squad (default is 10), I've heard it causes issues, but I can't personally confirm that.

As for training, the fastest way is actual combat experience; however they can gain this by being sent off to kill wildlife or hitting disarmed goblin prisoners. See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cage for more about that.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »

There is almost no need to cancel their civilian jobs either--the military option overrides it--sole exception are those jobs that have their own uniforms--e.g. mining wood cutting and hunting. Set 70% of the troop to train each month via (m)ilitary-(s)chedule-(e)dit order--/+to set training and shift+enter to confirm.  Then from the (s)quad menu make sure they are in active/training alert, rather than the default inactive. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »

Thanks a lot guys! I already did all of those things except the minimum number. I was wondering why they were only doing individual drills.
One more question though: How much free time should they have? Thanks again!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:36:43 pm »

Thanks a lot guys! I already did all of those things except the minimum number. I was wondering why they were only doing individual drills.
One more question though: How much free time should they have? Thanks again!
How many dwarves are in your squad? If there are 5 dwarves in your squad, go to schedules and set their training schedule to have a minimum of 4 dwarves training at once. This way, 4 out of 5 dwarves will always be on duty, and they will automatically switch out. Also remember for this schedule to be on every month.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »

There are six of them. Does that mean I should set the minimum to five?

Edit: For some reason, they're still doing individual drills. Is it because the leader is resting an injury?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:28:43 pm by Mormota »