Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a "natural" fortress.  (Read 764 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting up a "natural" fortress.
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:47:57 pm »

Hello everyone.

After playing for a little month, I now want to try something else than the basic things I did (mainly building/fighting).

So I had an idea to make it more amusing and slower to start:
Start with 7-10 dwarves.
Allow no immigrant to come (or limit to 1-2 per year)
Accept to grow tons of babies to populate the fort.

The problem is I have no idea on how to disable the migration waves or to limit them to a dwarf or a married couple (don't wish to kill all I don't want, just don't want them to come at all).
Well, I could set the max population to 7, but that would prevent babies too right?

If you have an idea on how to set this up, I thank you in advance.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Setting up a "natural" fortress.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »

Setting POPULATION_CAP does not prevent babies from being born.  It only controls immigration.  BABY_CHILD_CAP controls babies.

However, you will always get two immigration waves in your first year, no matter what you set POPULATION_CAP to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »

Oh, I didn't know the children could still be born even when cap is reached.

I knew for the first two waves, but I think I read that  the number they give is based on the wealth (that explains why I get 10 then 20 nearly every time).

So I would just need to lock the pop to 7 and find a way to understand the child limit (two numbers, I guess it's not just a division right?)
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »

The first number on the child cap is an absolute number of children in a fortress at one time. If it's set to 3, for instance, you'll have at most 3 children, and no more will be born until one dies, is snatched, or matures. The other is expressed as a percentage of the number of adults in your fortress; if it's set to 10 and you have 40 adults, you'll get at most 4 children, but if 10 migrants came a fifth child could be born. Whichever is lower is the one that actually controls it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:48:38 pm »

Thank you two very much.

With this, I could eventually succeed in my fort.

for children, I was not sure as it comes with 100 and 1000 as default, but I guess it makes sense.

jorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:09:30 pm »

You could use burrows to assign and corral all immigrants to a small separate camp so that they don't mess up your "natural" fort.
If you leave the immigrant camp undefended they shouldn't be a bother for too long.
Or fit the camp with spike/flood/cave-in traps to speed up their, er, passage to a better life.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:28:23 pm »

As I said, I know I can keep them away or kill them, but that is not what I want, I just wish to build a fortress out of the starting team and their descendants.

When you get immigrants, you sometimes look at their stats and basically just want them, + they come with animals, so I would be forced to pasture them too.

Really, would be nice if we could just disable immigrants when we don't want them.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:30:33 pm »

there are plenty of ways to 'disable' imigrants, you just can't disable the first two waves

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 03:04:33 am »

I suggest you accept the first two waves as the gender balance of the starting seven can totally mess this kind of thing up. Seven is also a pretty small breeding pool considering that not all of them will marry.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands