Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zooming In?  (Read 648 times)

K0I

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Zooming In?
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »

While browsing a tutorial to get to grips with the game I noticed that the provided map was more detailed than my one. Although I don't mind the simple view too much, such as smiley faces instead of the actual dwarf, (it aids with macro management) it would be nice to have an option. Am I missing something or has the zoomed view been abandoned by the latest versions of DF?   ???

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And sorry in advance if the answer is staring me in the face.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:36:19 pm by K0I »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Zooming In?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:18 pm »

that is a different tileset.  you'll have to install one of your choosing to get the same visuals.  glad you labeled the image, i use the default ascii/curses, and cant make heads or tails of more graphical tiles.

the wiki lists a lot of different graphics packs, you might look there to find one that you like. 
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:17 am »

I don't use normal binds, but I believe that either mouse scroll , or ctr+scroll is what you want to use.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:57:33 am »

Find a DF copy with integrated tileset (easier than modding vanilia DF for a beginner). The lazy newb pack has a few tilset built-in.

The one in your picture is Mike Mayday's.

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:07:42 am »

While browsing a tutorial to get to grips with the game I noticed that the provided map was more detailed than my one. Although I don't mind the simple view too much, such as smiley faces instead of the actual dwarf, (it aids with macro management) it would be nice to have an option. Am I missing something or has the zoomed view been abandoned by the latest versions of DF?   ???

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And sorry in advance if the answer is staring me in the face.

There's a link to tutorials in my sig, under ressources is the Lazy Newb Pack with everything in it.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:01:42 am »

i use the default ascii/curses, and cant make heads or tails of more graphical tileset

Even though I've played nethack (maybe BECAUSE I've played nethack) I need a tileset to play DF. But I can understand enough of what the ASCII is now to read/watch other ASCII screenshots and know what's going on.

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:04:03 am »

i use the default ascii/curses, and cant make heads or tails of more graphical tileset

Even though I've played nethack (maybe BECAUSE I've played nethack) I need a tileset to play DF. But I can understand enough of what the ASCII is now to read/watch other ASCII screenshots and know what's going on.

True it is easier for me now as well to "read" Ascii screenshots although i dont play with them.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »

True it is easier for me now as well to "read" Ascii screenshots although i dont play with them.
i only wish the inverse were true as well =D
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time