Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven bone items.  (Read 701 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Dwarven bone items.
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:47:46 am »

Idle thinking here but:

if a dwarf gets his arm chopped off, then it rots to bone, and someone moods, is it feesably possible for them to use said dwarfs bone to make an item or weapon that the owner could then weild?

ie: Dwarf bone spear artifact made out of a dwarfs arm that got cut off earlyer in his carear, that he then weilds.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven bone items.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:00:22 am »

This might be possible. You would have to modify the ethics tags, but I think, as long as the dwarf is alive, that you could manage this. However, if he were to die you might run into problems with him not being buried properly.

I recommend !!SCIENCE!!
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:06:10 am »

if i get the chance ill test it out in the name of !!SCIENCE!! and post what i find back here.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:42:44 am »

I doubt the modifying ethics tags will be neccessary. Ethics prevents sentient from being butchered, but if the bones are already in the basic "bone" state, it won't stop them from being used. I've had plenty of Goblin Bone Bolts being churned out by a regular bone carver.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »

I doubt the modifying ethics tags will be neccessary. Ethics prevents sentient from being butchered, but if the bones are already in the basic "bone" state, it won't stop them from being used. I've had plenty of Goblin Bone Bolts being churned out by a regular bone carver.

You make a valid point, however I remember reading that dwarves tried to bury their dead, and wouldn't use them for crafting. I can't find the post now.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:33:02 pm »

It's too bad, but I doubt it would work.

you can't use skeletons nor body parts that are only bones.
The only "bones" you can use are from butchering.

I could be wrong, but that's what I saw in my forts.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »

You totally can. If you dismember enemies by falling or severing, their limbs will turn into "bone" items rather than "skeleton" items.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »

The two questions are:

1.  Is it possible to remove a piece of a body that will decay to a stack of usable bones, without killing the dwarf that the bones come from?  He has to remain alive, or the body parts will all get moved to a coffin rather than being left out to rot.  I'm pretty sure this is possible, although I'm not sure exactly which body parts become stacks of bones rather than unusable skeletal limbs.

2.  Will a stack of bones from a still living-dwarf be considered usable material for a bone carver?  I have no idea.  Someone needs to do some !!science!! here.

I don't think the entity ethic settings actually matter here.  My dwarves have completely unmodded ethics, yet have no problem making stacks of goblin bone bolts from goblin bits that rotted to piles of bones in the pit traps.  On the other hand, burying all of any member of your embark race who dies seems to be hard-coded behavior that you can't modify.

On a related question:  Do ghosts care if you entomb the entire body?  If Urist McUnlucky gets chopped into a dozen pieces, do you need to have all of them put in a coffin to stop a ghost, or is it enough just to get one part?  If so, does it matter which part?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.