Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange strange mood.  (Read 1479 times)

Iron Bird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange strange mood.
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:31 am »

Hey guys, I'm back with another newb question! : D
I've had this dwarf who got possessed, but he didn't go to a workshop.
I looked at his skillz, and saw he was a glassmaker, so I built a glass furnance for him.
Fortunatly, that was the right bet because he rushed to the furnance, and started muttering: raw ... green. rough ... color.
I looked it up, and he needed raw green glass and rough gems.
So I built another glass furnance to produce some green glass, and as soon as the glass was ready he claimed it.
So now he should be looking for some rought gems in the lower levels,where I have tons of them.
But he just sits ther idly, while I even have a rough gem stockpile in front of him!
Why oh why is he mocking me like this? (I include a picture for you guys to understand something of what I'm writing here)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:56:27 am by Iron Bird »

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange strange mood.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:02:38 am »

He may need more than one piece of raw green glass.  They collect everything in order, so if you do have rough gems available
and not forbidden or something, this means that he needs more green glass than he has.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:56 am »

The above post is the reason why they won't gather 99.99999% of the time, but sometimes a dwarf will only gather a specific type of the material he wants because he likes it. Example, he asks for gems but wants Moonstones, or he asks for metal, but wants Rose Gold.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:49 am »

The first demand listed by a moody dwarf will only show up for 2 seconds, but the dwarf may want as many as 3 of them. This is different from previous versions, where it would be displayed for 4 or 6 seconds in such a case. Other such demands will still show up for longer durations as expected.

In other words, while 40d would've had a dwarf asking for "raw green glass, raw green glass, raw green glass, rough gems, rough gems", 0.31 would have him asking for "raw green glass, rough gems, rough gems".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iron Bird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 11:14:34 am »

Right, I ordered some more green glass, but apparently he doesn't want that. So I looked at what he likes...:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Chrysocolla
And I have it nowhere... So I walled him in. :/

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:54 am »

Right, I ordered some more green glass, but apparently he doesn't want that. So I looked at what he likes...:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Chrysocolla
And I have it nowhere... So I walled him in. :/
as stated before, only metalsmiths request specific materials, and then only rarely.  are you sure you have gems and they are not forbidden?  they are not claimed by something else?

Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Iron Bird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:47:35 pm »

Despite your advices, I wasn't able to save my dwarf. (who was idle 99% of the time.)
Anyway, I have 2 more questions:
1. I have assigned a squad of 10 dwarves to train in their barracks, but they are very thirsty and hungry but don't go to get some booze or food, even though I've made a food stockpile 2 metres from their barracks.
2. The upper floor of my fortress is made of clay, and ever since I've opened up a cavern the floor became somewhat.... special. Any way to stop this?
I've included a picture for both cases. You can see the dwarves training in the downmost left corner.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

Despite your advices, I wasn't able to save my dwarf. (who was idle 99% of the time.)
Anyway, I have 2 more questions:
1. I have assigned a squad of 10 dwarves to train in their barracks, but they are very thirsty and hungry but don't go to get some booze or food, even though I've made a food stockpile 2 metres from their barracks.
2. The upper floor of my fortress is made of clay, and ever since I've opened up a cavern the floor became somewhat.... special. Any way to stop this?
I've included a picture for both cases. You can see the dwarves training in the downmost left corner.

press 't', to take them from active/training to inactive. Or, press 'o' to temporarily disband them. Disbanding them will make them unhappy if they're professional soldiers, but, and I mean no offense, I highly doubt you have professional soldiers, so they'll be fine. If they have no military training or experience, they'll actually be pissed about being in the military.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »

Unless your soldiers have additional orders, this should not be happening - I've had military squads with year-round "Train 10/10" orders and they have no trouble getting food/drink. Are your soldiers assigned to carry food/drink with them? If so, do they have backpacks/flasks to wear?
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:26:44 pm »

Unless your soldiers have additional orders, this should not be happening - I've had military squads with year-round "Train 10/10" orders and they have no trouble getting food/drink. Are your soldiers assigned to carry food/drink with them? If so, do they have backpacks/flasks to wear?
Does having soldiers carry food in backpacks work properly now?  I stopped allotting them food because all they did was toss rotten food and the accompanying miasma around my fort.  :/

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:25:39 pm »

Does having soldiers carry food in backpacks work properly now?  I stopped allotting them food because all they did was toss rotten food and the accompanying miasma around my fort.  :/
It works just fine, provided you don't try to put Wood Cutters, Hunters, or Miners in your military - their builtin uniforms override whatever you assign them to wear, including their backpack and flask.