Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb problems.... picking up things from dead dwarfs...  (Read 384 times)

cmikaiti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Newb problems.... picking up things from dead dwarfs...
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »

I know this has likely been answered many times, but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for (I love the wiki).  I have been playing for 3 weeks or so, and just survived my first goblin attack.... I had 59 dwarves, and lost 10 in the raid, but I won.  The problem is that now all of their gear is just sitting outside, and I want to collect it.  How do I do this?  The designate options don't seem to allow for 'loot your friend'.  I've stopped the game, because they hold all my weapons/armor... will they just naturally collect it?  I don't have a burial yard... is that necessary?

Thanks for the help... sorry for the stupid question.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Newb problems.... picking up things from dead dwarfs...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:10 pm »

You need to reclaim the gear by doing (d) (b) (c) -- this should make the gear show up in bright green on dark green -- and then creating a rectangle that encompasses the gear. You can also use the mouse to draw over the tiles with the gear.

Once it's reclaimed, it needs a stockpile to go into, otherwise each individual item will remain out there until someone wants to do something with it. Corpses of civilians get their own stockpile, but this is just somewhere to put them while you get the coffins ready. Make a coffin, build it, (q) over it and set it to allow citizen burial, and the dead dwarf will 'claim' the coffin and have its corpse or pieces placed in the coffin by a hauler.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

cmikaiti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Newb problems.... picking up things from dead dwarfs...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:12 pm »

Thank you for the help :)