Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shallow world?  (Read 998 times)

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shallow world?
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:10:56 pm »

I genned a world that had only 20ish z-levels between the surface and the magma sea, and it still had several caverns. It made pumping magma so much easier. How can I do it again?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: Shallow world?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:12:30 pm »

Gen another world and try your luck?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:14:30 pm »

It's probably more a site thing.  I don't think the world generator would let you gen something without mountains. Or with stubby ones for that matter.

You could try messing around with elevation parameters in advanced settings.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:08 pm »

It's probably more a site thing.  I don't think the world generator would let you gen something without mountains. Or with stubby ones for that matter.

You could try messing around with elevation parameters in advanced settings.

Oh, okay. I assumed there was a corresponding parameter because I built four different fortress in that world, and they were all like that.

The sites were 0 elevation and near rivers, but still, I haven't encountered such shallow earth the 40 something other times I've played.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:47:34 pm »

Advanced world gen allows you to specify these parameters.  Something along the lines of "layers above 1" and "layers above 4" and such.  They correspond to the caverns, the magma sea, and HFS, and possibly some other layer, it's slightly confusing.  I'm not sure about default worldgen, it acts rather different.

These shallow worlds still get proper mountains, their underground area just looks a bit funny.