Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need some advice on my fotress  (Read 1187 times)

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need some advice on my fotress
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:22 pm »

I have a volcano in my base and trying to set up lava based infrastructure. can somebody take a look at the map and tell me best way to do stuff? map will be attached thanks guys :-)
I do use mods
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

map zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?n2ub6qyaq6n5lbe

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: I need some advice on my fotress
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »

I'd be more than happy to take a look at it if you uploaded it to DFMA...

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:26:11 pm »

DFMA? I'm 100% new so call me clue less ;-) whats DFMA?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 05:28:15 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/
It is explained fully on site.

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »

export is part of the ESC menu correct?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

Yea, what Qloos said.  You can download a program here that allows you to create a snapshot of a fortress that's a fraction of the size of both savefile and screenshots.  You can then upload the whole thing onto the website, where anyone can see it.  If it's awesome enough, it can end up on the hall of fame.

export is part of the ESC menu correct?
Yep.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:33:24 pm »

Correct, you have to select which Z levels it exports.  It auto selects the layers with buildings, dwarfs or units on it.  If you wish to add more layers, you have to select them.  This is to reduce the amount of (pointless) map image files that are created.

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »

making maps now

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 05:47:46 pm »

they are up there I think. name for there is deanec64 and fotress name is lordcopper

or do I need to register?

never mind it got it ;-)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:56:04 pm by deanec64 »

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »

also my apologies for doing all those copies :-)

deanec64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:07 am »

no advice at all?

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:21 pm »

There's only a few levels on the map archive, and I'm exactly sure what you're planning to use the lava for.  But here's what I do.

First, you have to breach the pipe safely.  The easiest way to do this is to stand in a safe location - usually, dig a hole leading right up to the wall, then go one level above and channel out the last piece of wall.  It's tricky here because the pipe is a uniform size, but you could go up to the top of the pipe and do it from there.  Or you can just dig right into the pipe and have your miner run like the wind / take one for the team.

Second, you want to get the magma safely.  This means filtering out the magma men and such.  The best way to do this is to slightly modify the advice above - stop one extra unit early, and carve fortifications into the wall (has to be smoothed by an engraver first [d -> s], then carved [d -> a]).  If you are going right into the pipe, you can engrave a fortification right against the pipe wall, but this time, your engraver better be ready to run.

Third, you need to route the magma to somewhere useful.  It moves slowly, and if your opening is only 1 unit wide, it won't be able to fill a huge open space, because it will "evaporate" before it fills the room.  That means a 1 or 2 wide hallway, and then a reasonably-sized room to fill with magma.  You can do a snaking hallway to avoid this problem.  The key is that you don't let it spread out everywhere.   The room near the magma on level 65 of your map is too large - it probably won't fill.  You can fix this with some constructed walls.  Pretend like you are routing invaders through a maze of traps, and you'll have the idea.

Fourth, you place the forges and furnaces directly above the magma, and channel out holes.  If you're looking at the keypad on your computer, magma forges need the "4" and "6" holes channeled out.  The other magma buildings need the "8" key channeled out (keep this in mind when designing your magma "maze").  Once the magma reaches a depth of 4/7 (I think) they will start to work.

Fifth, save some of that magma!  You will want to play with it for other purposes.  I would recommend using two sets of magma-safe drawbridges, doors, or floodgates.  One will go at the entrance to the magma forge area, because you will want to keep it at depth after it's full (i.e. you don't want to draw magma from there).  The other should go in that same hallway leading up to the magma forge area, so that when you decide what you need magma for, you don't have to breach the magma pipe again - you've already got a resealable opening.  Remember that both the door/bridge/floodgate and the mechanism on the door/bridge/floodgate needs to be made out of magma safe stone or metal.  The wiki has a list of magma-safe materials here.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »

Or you can just dig right into the pipe and have your miner run like the wind / take one for the team.

Or even disable engraving on everyone except one expendable dwarf and have them smooth the wall and carve a fortification there. Why waste the pick? ;)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 07:55:12 pm »

How high is that cliff-face?  I've always wanted to see/create a fortress suspended from an arm extending off the side of a cliff...

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »

In general, it's actually trivial to breach a volcano without any special precautions. What you need to do is, when your miner is right next to the volcano, have him mine out a relatively large empty space (7x7 or so) before breaching the side. Then, breach the volcano in such a way as the magma flows out diagonally, which slows down the flow somewhat. Unless your miner is crippled, he'll make it back to safety without so much as a singed beard hair. Just don't make the passage the magma travels down too long and thin... the thinner the passage is, the faster the magma will chase. It needs room to spread out initially.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]