Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The free and/or cheap RTS thread  (Read 4691 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: The free and/or cheap RTS thread
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 04:49:48 pm »

I'd like to recommend a relatively obscure RTS, Outpost 2.  I believe it is freeware now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:47 pm »

I'd second Company of Heroes, it's $10, if your wallet can handle it and want to blow up Nazis. It's as close to Band of Brothers: The Video Game, as you can get IMO.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

My wallet can handle it, but what about my computer? Mine cant even run O.A.D. It has a generic graphics card, a gig and a half of RAM, and windows XP. Also, I recall some one mentioning some CaC games becoming freeware recently. Can somebody post a link to those? Ive been to the website, but cant seem to figure out how to download them. I tried the "buy now" button for tiberium sun and tiberium dawn, but it seems to take me to a completely different download page. I really enjoyed CaC 3 for xbox 360, and I would like to try some of the previous games.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 05:27:59 pm »

Minimum:

Processor: 2.0 Ghz Intel Pentium IV or equivalent or AMD Athlon XP or equivalent
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with Pixel Shader 1.1 support or equivalent and latest manufacturer drivers
Hard Drive: 9 GB of uncompressed free hard drive space (We recommend having 1 gigabyte of free space after installation)
Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card
Required for Multiplayer: Recommended System Requirements to support 6-8 player multiplayer and skirmish, Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers. LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers.

* Supported Video Cards: NVIDIA: NVIDIA GeForce 3 series or better with latest manufacturer drivers (excluding the GeForce 4 MX series), ATI: ATI Radeon 9500 series or better with latest manufacturer drivers

Internet connection required for play

Recommended:

Processor: 3.0 Ghz Intel Pentium IV or equivalent
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or better

No idea what O.A.D is, but CoH scales fairly well to low-end hardware, to a point. MP requires closer to rec spec and the game in theory can exceed rec spec depending on a few factors.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 05:34:14 pm »

I will check it out then. Does CoH have comp stomps/bot skirmishes? Also, a link to the freeware CaC please. (If indeed  some of it has become freeware)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 05:43:53 pm »

Oh yes. There's plenty of bot skirmish action in CoH. I've almost never played it against people (because I don't like how people end up playing the game and I'm not that good at it), and the AI has given me years of challenge. Can't even beat the hard AI, the medium AI is the best I've managed. You can have 1 human and up to 7 bots if you so desire.

Also, have some shameless promotion for the CoH map I'm in the process of making: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88587.0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:45:28 pm by nenjin »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 02:52:04 pm »

*waves wand of minor necromancy*  Ok, so I found one that I had no idea I would enjoy. Attack of the Paper Zombies. I was looking through the new free games list and HOLY SHIT theres a lot of cheap ass games there. Anybody still play Atop zombies?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]