Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Non-dog war animals  (Read 3762 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Non-dog war animals
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 05:35:02 pm »

What about Moose? They're pretty crazy. Hippos, too. A panda can crush a human head in its mouth.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:34 pm »

But don't large herbivores also require lots of pasture?  I recall reading that war elephants can't even eat fast enough to keep themselves fed at the moment once tamed.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:05 pm »

One word: Jabberers.  War Jabberers can rend a goblin thief into pieces.  Jabber snatches with his beak--goblin arm flies off.  Dunno if they are egg-layers in this version,  but they do spawn hatchlings and they are cute.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:47 pm »

And they are the largest tameable non-grazer that is not nigh-impossible to get a breeding pair of.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:08 pm »

And since they're cavern creatures, they show up on virtually every embark. Speaking of caverns, I totally got shafted on mine this embark and got 20+ z-levels of open space in one. I also thought of that really excellent pun.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »

I like that this thread is helping someone create hooved firebreathing tames war elves to pull his wagons and guard the gates.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »

War grizzly bears are my pick.  They just seem so damned dwarfy; I even modded them to be available at embark for my dwarves (they're a hefty 250 points for untrained ones though, so save your pennies).
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 11:27:36 am »

What about Moose? They're pretty crazy. Hippos, too. A panda can crush a human head in its mouth.

The problem wit those 3 is that they are grazers.  And the panda only grazes on bamboo, making it even more impractical.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 02:01:02 pm »

War Giant Eagles. One time the elves have earned enough respect not to be slain on sight / imprisoned / burnt / drowned / slashed to pieces by my Legendary+5 Swordsdwarf / all of the above.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 02:47:45 pm »

Screw your grizzlies, polar bears are where it's at.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 03:03:35 am »

I've had some luck with war tigermen.  In fact, one of my war tigermen became the mayor, but instead of making useless mandates, she went around killing intruders.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]