Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The journals of Stalcon Monespuc, Cave Dweller  (Read 891 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The journals of Stalcon Monespuc, Cave Dweller
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:53:01 pm »

These are the journal entries of Stalcon Monespuc (someone PLEASE translate that for me) are here. He is a Demigod human, an axeman who is slowly converting to the use of the bow+arrow and blowgun+dart. He ventures into the caverns through caves from the surface, and he lives off the land.

Space The Caverns, the final second frontier. These are the voyages journeys of the Starship Enterprise Warrior Stalcon Monespuc. His continuing mission goal, to explore strange, new worlds environments, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before. *Star Trek: The Next Generation theme song*

Journal entry of Stalcon Monespuc, 12th Galena 91:
I break out this journal for the first time. I have claimed a new lair to call my own, slightly smaller than the last one, but I'll manage. I have dropped all food except for my lungfish that I scratched together about a week ago. I myself have created a bow and blowgun, and much ammunition. This will suit me for a long time to come.

My food stores are huge; most meat came from a pack of dreaded Giant Ants that my companions and I have stumbled upon. A few piles of meat came from some rhesus macaques and perhaps a honey badger or two, and some from the corpses of fellow humans that I found dead in a Minotaur's Labyrinth. I do have the ability and skill to gather edible plants, however, and can rely on those found in these fabled Caverns if I cannot find sufficient game to hunt.

My possessions are many; a few assorted weapons, several knives, a quern, five mortars and two pestles, a mediocre set of clothing (leather loincloth and a pair of socks), a simple hammer and fire, a simple axe, a homemade quiver (with homemade arrows!) and homemade short-bow, a hand-crafted wooden spear, and my scorpion dagger of copper. In terms of wealth, I am fairly poor, however; a large gold opal and milk quartz, and a single copper coin. It is looting and killing night-creatures and their lairs that I have gained these possessions.

There is a cave not too far from my home, a mountain cave. I shall pack up what gear I can carry, and off I venture into the depths...

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The journals of Stalcon Monespuc, Cave Dweller
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:10:04 pm »

Journal Entry #2, Supplemental:
Well, that was lame. It was a stone hill with niches crudely carved into it, and we've slaughtered its Troglodyte inhabitants. It went up a ways, but only came out again. No way down. Damn, that was disappointing.

However, there is another cave much closer to civilization--but farther from home--to the northeast. Perhaps that will lead down...

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:33:49 am »

14 Galena 91:
A couple of days and I have found my way to that other cave. Two of my companions are chasing down and killing cavies for no apparent reason. I have an axeman and one peasant to follow me to the depths...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:38:49 am »

Wanderer's friend?

Also, this is awesome.  Hopefully you find something exciting.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:03:08 am »

Wanderer's friend?

Also, this is awesome.  Hopefully you find something exciting.   
Yup. Lofn's wanderer mod. Combined, of course, with Mephansteras's Civilization Forge mod (which explains the huge pile of giant ant meat in my lair).

Thank you. I hope it gains enough fame to make it to The Hall Of Legends.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:05:25 am »

That's what I've been trying to do with my short stories. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:04 am »

14 Galena 91, supplemental:
I have found my way into these Caverns, and they are quite large. It took me quite a bit of swimming done to find dry(ish) land, and I'm searching for a camp of animal-peoples.

I have so far found a passage downwards. Perhaps that will lead me to some new helpers.

I have practiced my plant-gathering skills, and I'd like to say I'm quite good at it. Some plump helmet mushrooms, some slime molds, and a few rare plants that I have heard been called
web lichens. Although I have enough meat to last about a week, eating the same food over and over again for several days gets disgusting, so I decided that I could use my harvesting skills.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:38:24 am »

Helpers?  In the caves? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:42:10 am »

Neat idea. I've never really explored underground much as an adventurer. Should be interesting to see how this goes!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One