Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Out of booze... and they eat the Plump Helmets. Help!  (Read 1479 times)

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
Re: Out of booze... and they eat the Plump Helmets. Help!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »

Problem solved... once I moved the stockpiles for the plump helmets beyond the kitchens and stills, the dwarves started taking the shorter trip to the other food instead.  :-\
I've since completed the walls surrounding my fortress (no more migrants! YAY!)... now my only concerns are... training a military, finding magma, and my Everything-opult project which isn't quite large scale enough to be a megaproject. I'm just going to fill the area around my fortress with drawbridges maximized on the X and Y axis, all facing away from the fortress, and all hooked to a single lever. Any suggestions to make that easier to do?

Sugata-senpai

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anime Watcher+3 Legendary Manga Reader+5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 02:58:26 pm »

Problem solved... once I moved the stockpiles for the plump helmets beyond the kitchens and stills, the dwarves started taking the shorter trip to the other food instead.  :-\
I've since completed the walls surrounding my fortress (no more migrants! YAY!)... now my only concerns are... training a military, finding magma, and my Everything-opult project which isn't quite large scale enough to be a megaproject. I'm just going to fill the area around my fortress with drawbridges maximized on the X and Y axis, all facing away from the fortress, and all hooked to a single lever. Any suggestions to make that easier to do?

I'm just going to fill the area around my fortress with drawbridges maximized on the X and Y axis, all facing away from the fortress

all facing away from the fortress

You'll actually need to make them raise towards your fortress, or the bridges will form walls that will stop creatures from being flung away from the fort.

Also, bridges fling in a random direction, so your design will only fling things away about 25% of the time.
Me: I'll kill you... I'll kill you all!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!...

UristMcRandomNurse: Sir, patient 137 is laughing maniacially again.

UristMcDoctor: Don't worry, if we just ignore him he'll calm down and go back to playing Dwarf Fortress.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

If they fling in random directions, it won't matter how the walls are built. Also: Flinging direction doesn't matter too much... The walls are pretty high, and with redundancy anything that does get over them won't get in if it survives the fall anyway.
... Although 4 years in, with quite a lot of wealth and still no invaders. I'm starting to feel lonely, even with the large group of insane migrants locked outside the walls. Several of them have berserked, and all of them have thrown at least two tantrums. I... can't open the gate even if I wanted to let them in. But it's more exiting having them outside anyway. Lots of Fun.
Pages: 1 [2]