Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d or the current version.  (Read 698 times)

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d or the current version.
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:19 am »

As I see it 40d was better, because there were mead halls where you could recruit badass companions. Elves and dwarves had their own "towns", unlike now which are empty spaces. Goblins had their own towers and so on. I would play the 40d version, but sadly there is no phoebus tileset for it, I wish there was an mod, which would bring back these awesome features along with the new updated tilesets.

But is 40d really better?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d or the current version.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:17:28 am »

It's not better in my experience. It's slow, buggy, and it lacks many of the current features such as targeted attacks.

If you really want non-humans to have settlements in the latest version you have two options. You can mod the game to have other races live in towns the same as humans or, as I've heard, you can generate a world in DF 2010 31.12 (before the settlements were removed) and copy it into your save file for the newer version. Both solutions have a few drawbacks, but so does playing 40d.

Edit: I'm not sure how well adding texture packs to that second option will work. I just use the vanilla ACSII so I have little experience in that area.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:25:38 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:40:15 am »

I liked 40d much more. Not just because of the towns, but for a few other reasons.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:30:12 am »

I tried out 40d and I didn't like it much o-o I mean, it was nice that you could get different ages far more often, but... Well, it lacks lots of features from newer version and embarking on the sites turned out to be surprisingly boring. Also, in adventure mode, I could almost never find the quest giver  :P