Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walledoil: Decentralized centralization  (Read 790 times)

revara

• Bay Watcher
  • The entropic pluck of strings.
    • View Profile
Walledoil: Decentralized centralization
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »

Hello, I'm currently in the early process of making a new fort. I'm attempting to use as few layers as possible, and keeping four bedroom/dining wings, as well as four stockpile wings. Albeit with a central meeting hall, a central food storage (As well as individual food storages for the wings)

My primary goal however, is to create an aesthetically pleasing, and efficient fortress, I've found myself using alot of Raynard's fractals, and I believe they work rather well (Workshops, Aboveground and Storages are all Raynard's fractals) - There doesn't seem to be much metal in this area, and it's a rather barren desert'ish area (It's temperate, and there is water)

Anyway, I seem to have forgot one thing while planning this fort, and that is a meeting hall, I differ between meeting halls and dining halls, in that I want a place where my migrants and dwarves unite, before I bash them back to work. - Anyways, I'd very much like ideas for a dining hall, I very much enjoy fractal designs, and size is no problem, I have an entire layer to work with (I'm against multi Z-level rooms, sowwies! :c) Just throw around any ideas you have! (Screenshots of designations, or some quick paint designs would be great! (I find it hard to read designs written in the code tags on the forum, but if that's easier for you, go ahead ^^))

DF Map Archive link: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10590

- I'm not exactly planning to do a story about this fort, and very little of this is my own design completely, so I figured this would be the best place to post this thread, while I attempt to find ideas from you guys that could help me improve my fort, and overcome any problems that will occur.

Zapitron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Walledoil: Decentralized centralization
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:18:41 am »

Use an empty space.  You can't get more fractal than nothingness.  A small nothing looks exactly like a smaller version of a big nothing, even with real-life (or Dwarf Fortress) resolution constraints.
"They killed our last caravan?  That's it, I've had it.  Instead of arming those hostile dwarves with our exquisite wooden swords, let's see the disappointed look on their faces when all we offer them are our useless tamed grizzly bears."