Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you get your friendly neighbourhood batmen to move?  (Read 858 times)

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you get your friendly neighbourhood batmen to move?
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »

Simple question i guess, ive heard of people having friendly batmen live in their fortress and I'd like to do the same, currently a single tribe of 8 batmen has killed 4 forgotten beasts in the caverns meaning 4 of them are friendly, and id like to give these guys a place in my fortress.

So, i think caging them is out of question since they are friendly? Any Ideas? (aside from magma)
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get your friendly neighbourhood batmen to move?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »

Move to them!  Build a simple outpost near them, with a long house a well and maybe a temple to Armok to convert the heathen.  Your dwarves will linger around them and they'll pick up social skills.  You might have to deal with the ones still hostile though.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:43:35 pm »

Move to them!  Build a simple outpost near them, with a long house a well and maybe a temple to Armok to convert the heathen.  Your dwarves will linger around them and they'll pick up social skills.  You might have to deal with the ones still hostile though.

Hmmm I guess so, i'd rather they came up to the surface to live with my dwaves though. I was planning on building them a Shrine to live in and fill it with statues of dwarves and batmen. and occasionally drop goblin prisoners in from the ceiling for them to eat.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »

You could try cage-trapping them. It probably wouldn't catch the friendly ones, but you could knock them out with a cave-in and then trap them.

Not a bad deal. Surrounded by traps in your cave, and then knocked unconscious. When you wake up, you're in a shrine full of statues, plenty of food. Like a zoo, but better.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:53:31 pm »

You could try cage-trapping them. It probably wouldn't catch the friendly ones, but you could knock them out with a cave-in and then trap them.

Not a bad deal. Surrounded by traps in your cave, and then knocked unconscious. When you wake up, you're in a shrine full of statues, plenty of food. Like a zoo, but better.

That seems like it could work, maybe I'll trap the enemy ones and put them in the room too, who knows maybe if i continue to dump invaders in there they will turn friendly.

Must remember to save before causing a cave in though, could end badly

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:11 pm »

Yeah, don't collapse it on top of anyone. Drop a little ceiling next to them. It's a bit touchy, but it's a method that works with friendlies, including your dwarves.

Alternatively, drop the floor from under them into a cage trap filled room. A 1 z-level fall generally stuns but doesn't harm, so that should trap them well.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 05:04:14 pm »

Yeah, don't collapse it on top of anyone. Drop a little ceiling next to them. It's a bit touchy, but it's a method that works with friendlies, including your dwarves.

Alternatively, drop the floor from under them into a cage trap filled room. A 1 z-level fall generally stuns but doesn't harm, so that should trap them well.

I think I'll go with the second method of dropping them. I'll cage the first few and drop the friendlies. If i start messing around with cave ins again im just gonna end up with dead dwarves and smooshed bat men.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:34 pm »

I think I'll go with the second method of dropping them. I'll cage the first few and drop the friendlies. If i start messing around with cave ins again im just gonna end up with dead dwarves and smooshed bat men.
I don't really understand how dropping them would work... wouldn't it have the possibility of dealing damage? And also the falling floors would destroy the cage traps.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:38 pm »

1 z-level falls don't deal damage, they just stun. Try it in your fort, or in adventure mode, if you want.

As for the destruction of cage traps, I forgot about that. It might work, it might not. Worst thing that could happen is him having some batmen in a pit. There's really no downside.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 10:14:49 am »

Success! Got the bat man to fall into the cage trap by digging around him. One of my hammermen beat the shit into one of the hostile ones on top of a cage trap and she got caught. Tried to catch the other one with a bridge but atom smashed her.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Put a giant magma cross contained by clear glass (god damn crystal glass bug) and filled the room with silver statues of my dwarves being awesome and elves/humans getting killed by creatures

It think i'll just leave this guy and the other one ive capture in there maybe they will breed eventually. Lost a legendary hammerdwarf and a miner trying to get the one i atom smashed too...

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:16:26 am »

Awesome.