Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Newbie] Bentgirder broken?  (Read 1637 times)

steelwing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Newbie] Bentgirder broken?
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:49:53 am »

Hi.  I'm brand new to the world of Dwarf Fortress.  I grabbed the Lazy Newb Pack and the Bentgirder tutorial, on advice from a friend.  DF runs perfectly well, but trying to load Bentgirder produces the error "Missing Reaction Definition".

steelwing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [Newbie] Bentgirder broken?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:16 am »

Never mind.  I just figured it out.  Always helps to read the instructions... ;D
Bentgirder is apparently based on DF 31.18, and I got 31.25 in the LNP.  So thinking myself to be smart, I updated the graphics files, which the LNP's readme says not to do when updating from 31.18 to any future version. ::)
I did say I was a newbie, didn't I?  ;)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:49:13 pm »

Welcome to the nightmare that is Dwarf Fortress.  Say good-bye to your sanity and sobriety.  Don't worry, that's a good thing.  Look at the wiki page for Stupid Dwarf Trick to see what our little, drunken sociopaths can do give insane enough direction.

It's great that you could figure out the problem yourself.  You'll also be able to figure out a lot more problems yourself if you use the wiki.  Just don't be afraid to ask here if the wiki isn't clear on any questions you have.

Also, please don't double post.  Just edit the old post to append to the end of it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:22 pm »

If he knows about Bentgirder, he knows about the wiki.

Bentgirder is a pretty good guide, so just read it and don't play along with its save. Just do vaugely the same things in a freshly generated world. Just don't embark on aquifer and disable invasions, and you should be fine no matter what.

I'd also recomment this: http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral