Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pleasant surprises in newer versions  (Read 1502 times)

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
Pleasant surprises in newer versions
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:39:57 pm »

So what are some fun things you've found out as you've moved to the more recent versions?

Today I found out serrated blades in my weapon traps make excellent troll shavers.  That's right Goblin Christmas now comes with yarn and fabric as well as goblinite.

I also found some unicorn hair thread in my stocks today.  They're officially the gift that keeps on giving at the butcher shop.  Now I just need to see if I can make some unicorn cloth.  It's not yarn, but it's also not thread... What loom task will net me some sparkly fabric?  I want my units to flatten the goblins with shiny silver hammers and sparkly unicorn cloaks.  It makes the beatings feel more humiliating.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasant surprises in newer versions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:37 am »

... It's not yarn, but it's also not thread... What loom task will net me some sparkly fabric?  I want my units to flatten the goblins with shiny silver hammers and sparkly unicorn cloaks.  It makes the beatings feel more humiliating.
You need a dwarf with the "spinning" labor enabled and a Farmer's Workshop. There you can set a task of spinning hair into thread and wool into yarn.
The thread then can be woven into cloth in a loom workshop (dwarf will need the "weaving" labor).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:13:24 am by Laurin »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:18:12 am »

and what job would spinning the hair thread into cloth require?
くコ:彡

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:26:26 am »

I have already edited: You need a loom and a weaver.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:53:15 am »

no, i mean what job. as in Spin Thread Into Cloth, Spin Thread Into Silk, Spin Thread Into Wool.
くコ:彡

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 03:01:14 am »

Weave cloth (that is the task). The labor to be enabled is "weaving".

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »

All hair is treated as wool. After all, wool is just sheep hair. It's nice that you can slaughter a horse and spin its hair into yarn and knit a bag to keep your sand in.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:22:52 am »

Hm, according to the Wiki, thread produced from hair cannot be woven into cloth but can be used in hospitals:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Hair

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:23 am »

Well I've been playing along with the releases mostly (I had a six month hiatus for a while but that was all during .25).  That said, in the newer versions things I like are, in no particular order:

1) The military - I know a lot of people seem to hate this, but I love it.  I can choose to equip my military with whatever I want, even specific items (so if I want my war leader to have that new artifact sword, its done).  I can also order them into whatever position I want and order them to attack whatever I want.

2) Metal amount adjustment - One of the things I hated about the more recent patches were the 'metal is everywhere!' issue.  I prefer less metal because that is more of a challenge, however I also understand that some people like having more.  The way its done now is perfect, you can have whatever you want by adjusting the worldgen.

Those are the two big ones in the recent times (ok military is not so recent but early on it didn't work so it didn't count).  There are lots of little things I like of course but those are the ones that stand out and truly changed how I played the game.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:25:07 am »

I liked finding out that underground farms worked. Still have no idea how the hell hens work (do they need to pasture? Can I have the henboxes underground?) - but seeing that was nice. The underground seems to be more diverse now in how it shapes, but that may be my imagination.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »

I liked finding out that underground farms worked. Still have no idea how the hell hens work (do they need to pasture? Can I have the henboxes underground?) - but seeing that was nice.

Just have a nest box created at a craftsdwarf workshop and build it anywhere you like:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Nest_box

The animals will randomly claim such boxes and lay their eggs.