Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG! *video, pics and saves etc now added*  (Read 1236 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile

Sigunmasos.  A haunted land with a volcano, brook, a resident troll in a cave and lots of undead.

The first embark consists of seven axedwarves, armed and armoured, with minimal supplies.
They clear out the major masses of skeletal horses, badgers, buzzards and carp without casualties, and switch to mining.
A fortress is dug out belowground, supplies are moved down and all goes well.  After almost a year the fortress swells to fourteen dwarves, with only one death due to a magma related mining accident.  The dead dwarf is buried with full honours and a memorial chamber erected in his honour.
Until a sudden herd of eight skeletal horses catch me offguard and lay waste to the fortress.  My axe/miners are slaughtered before I even have the chance to put them on duty, and the remainder of the fortress dies quickly.

To retake the fortress, another seven dwarves are sent.  Hammer dwarves this time, armed and armoured and with minimal supplies.  They take care of the now named, ambushing skeletal horses and troll, and start moving supplies downstairs.  Until the entrance suddenly becomes impassable.  The volcano which, on first embark, stopped one level belowground and is surrounded by a hollow caldera rising a further 20 stories above ground, has started to swell.  For drama and fue to future grand, volcano based plans the entrance stairwell had been in the caldera wall and was now flooded with magma.  As the magma continues to rise and swell, sending great plumes ever higher, work continues more urgently to get supplies below ground using an alternative entrance dug out.  The plan is to move supplies down, wall off the new entrance before the volcano erupts, and seal it off, building a new, secure entrance, on higher ground.

Unfortunately, despite proud victory against the troll and skeletal forces with only one death, my dwarves cause the fortress downfall all by themselves.  Once most of the supplies are downstairs, we start moving the corpses and scattered aboveground produce of the previous settlers below too, planning to make a decent burial for them all.  One dwarf is suddenly stricken with melancholy.  Another begins to throw tantrums.  The volcano suddenly erupts, trapping three dwarves aboveground as magma floods below, immediately setting fire to the entire stock of food.  The dwarves dig another emergency entrance, wall off the magma downstairs and begin walling off the entrance aboveground.  Ghosts raise.  Every movement is interrupted by skeletal beasts of some sort which must be killed, delaying our efforts to wall off the next entrance.  The melancholy dwarf dies.  Another turns raving mad.  When the mad dwarf dies, still with the entrance unsealed and now leaking magma, another dwarf turns beserk and kills all remaining, sane dwarves.

A further group embarks to reclaim the area.  No weapon skills this time.  All the large enemies had been killed and the lava is spreading over much of the land now, and the main priority is getting items into a makeshift entrance downstairs, walling off all magma and sealing up.  Once there safely we can create tombs for all the dead dwarves and begin retaking the magma flooded fortress.  Except that the berserk dwarf from the previous fortress is still there, and is waiting for us.  The dwarves scatter in terror, although fortunately the berserk dwarf falls to a fight with a skeletal sturgeon.  But not before the magma floods our caravan, destroying all supplies not yet moved belowground.  The dwarves all fall to ambush by skeletal horses.

A final group of axedwarves, accompanied by a fleet of wardogs to take on any beasts, arrives.  They die to skeletal horse ambush before I can even assign them to a military.  The caravan embark point is touching magma, and immediately goes up in flames.

It seems like the skeletal animals are planning it by now.  They wait, every time, until I am at a crucial moment - the last piece of wall to save us from the magma, the last few supplies, the one remaining safe place.

I will write this up into a proper story at some point.  Hopefully when I finally succeed in taking the place.

HEY!

Anyone want to try and take this place if I upload the save?  I'll happily upload a save and give you the details to make the world yourself so you can go from scratch instead if you like.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:25:01 pm by Mazonas »
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 03:26:25 pm »

Here's the details if you want to gen the world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's where you wanna go.  The reclaim area covering the river.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:29:54 pm by Mazonas »

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 03:47:44 pm »

why did the volcano rise? last time i checked, they only refilled up to the end of the obsidian magma pipe. if you had drained the pipe, it might explain it but you probably should have thought about that and planned accordingly. what version are you using? as if its the latest, im gonna need pics or im going to have to call bs on this whol erupting volcano buisiness.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:48:32 pm »

Wow! I like the tileset.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:15 pm »

why did the volcano rise? last time i checked, they only refilled up to the end of the obsidian magma pipe. if you had drained the pipe, it might explain it but you probably should have thought about that and planned accordingly. what version are you using? as if its the latest, im gonna need pics or im going to have to call bs on this whol erupting volcano buisiness.

I didn't drain the pipe, and I haven't a clue why it erupted.

But here's the save if you want to embark at the area and see for yourself.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4721

EDITEDIT
Currently trying to upload a video of the volcano on DFFD.  If only because the eruption looks pretty cool.  Will add it in a reply here once it is done.

EDIT

Here's some pics, also. 

This is the level that was originally the top of the magma,  There was originally a 1-ti le-wide path around the the volcano here, with stairs leading up to the entrance, now flooded.

Here's ground level

Here's where the magma has risen to, you can see it is pouring through gaps in the eroded caldera.

This is the next couple of levels above.  Plumes of magma in open air.

The magma only started doing this after I reclaimed, so I dunno if it might be a bug feature of that?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:12:46 pm by Mazonas »

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »

Wow! I like the tileset.

I think it is mostly haowan with some minor tweaks,
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Haowan

Just a couple of minor tweaks to it, not uploaded anywhere since it seemed a bit silly for a few adjustments, but if you like it I'll message you a copy?

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:24:44 pm »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG! *video, pics and saves etc now added*
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »

- I can't generate a world using the settings you provided. I get thousands of rejects, mostly regarding mountain peaks and elevation.

- When I reclaim using the save file you provided, there is already magma on the ground, and not much leaking from the volcano. Do you have a save file prior to the volcano "erupting"?

- After taking the time to download your 1.62 GB .avi file, I found that you only showed the volcano post-"Eruption".

Please provide an earlier save file, or worldgen settings that work.

EDIT:

Managed to generate an identical world using your seeds + info. Repeatedly embarked, abandoned, and reclaimed several times in a row. Tried killing all dwarves rather than abandoning. The volcano stayed at it's normal, non-erupting condition. I could not reproduce the effects that you describe.

EDIT EDIT:

What version are you using? I'm using 31.25.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:43:19 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG! *video, pics and saves etc now added*
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »

Huh, I don't know why so many rejects generated.  I'm glad you were able to generate the world in the end, though.

I'm using the latest version, and no I didn't take any recordings while it was going on unfortunately, I was too busy trying to get my dwarves inside and didn't think to.  I don't habitually backup saves, since I don't want the temptation to savescum when things go wrong, so it was only after it all went to pot that I made a copy.