Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming the Capital  (Read 921 times)

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Becoming the Capital
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:13:17 am »

In my nobles screen I recently discovered a new item (c:Becoming the Capital) I am assuming that if I press c my fortress will become the Capital of my civilization, but what exactly does this entail? What is going to be different? To this point I haven't gotten any nobles or diplomats so I haven't really had much experience with change, so is it a good idea for me to become the Capital?

EDIT: So I just now went and actually pressed c, to find that I need 5000 road value and 5000 offering value. I am assuming that I need to build a road for the road value, but what if offering? I have already met the architecture requirement, and I kind of do want to become the capital, so what exactly do I need to do to increase Offering, and road for that matter?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:16:53 am by Faeryx »
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.
Re: Becoming the Capital
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:23:12 am »

offering is when you give items to your dwarve civilization caravans(mark the items without other items in return and press o to offer) just give em 5k worth of items. though like imported and exported wealth i dont think the numbers will update until the caravan leaves(and a book keeper would help aswell.) becoming the capital means you wont get a liasion anymore, the king/queen will move to your fortress and become your leader. he will bring some guards with him aswell.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Monarch
^ is the wikipedia page for king/queen
Caravan in depot = Broker is on break/sleeping/eating/drink.
Caravan leaves =  Broker has no job.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:26:06 pm »

What about road value?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:33:08 pm »

pretty sure road value is based on how many roads tiles you have. if you wanna raise it i would suggest paving roads with stone getting rid of some of your stone, along with making permanent roads.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:17:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:36:19 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:32:35 pm »

but i think the offering points required to make the monarch move in is related to how much he likes your fortress" oh what nie gifts from mcUrists fortress, i should think about living there".
i dont think increasing relations with other monarchs has to do with it. ive never attempted to have a monarch move in so i wouldnt know tho.w

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have a good one.  I am not sure the bonus of having a Capital as not.  The caravans seem to ignore my roads and walk overland, regardless.  D for depot access never updates, for me, after roads are built.  Do we have to have an unbroken link to our Depot, as sometimes I break the link on purpose, on level changes?

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 08:43:28 pm »

Caravans haven't paid any attention to roads since 2D. Depot access is based only on wagon access, which requires a 3-tile path between the depot and the edge. Wagons don't exist in DF2010, and the only reason you should consider wagon access is that limiting it to one space on the map edge causes the pack animal caravan to spawn there (as if there were a wagon accompanying it).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.