Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon blocking Reclaim  (Read 1076 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon blocking Reclaim
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:54:08 am »

Evening Everybody.

Following problem, after finding a very good embark site with a Volcano, good Temperature, lots of Animals for taming and alot of Ore for my Metalindustry, FUN knocked on the door and ran my ass over.

Immeadeatly after reaching my Second Spring (I had around 30 Dwarfs) a Dragon showed up. I closed my Fortress off with a Drawbridge, but somehow he managed to get inside (I have no idea how, im using Deons Genesis Mod, maybe Dragons can actually fly with that one). Anyway, my Military was unsurprisingly torn to shreds in seconds and in an final Attempt to kiill the thing i drafted everyone into the Military and let them charge the Lizard. A few minutes later all my Dwarfs were either dead, criticaly injured or throwing tantrums.

Not willing to give up this wonderful embark i tried to reclaim 3 times allready, but that stupid Lizard sits there blocking my Fort like a tall guy blocks your view in the Cinema. I Gave my Dorfs the Ambusher skill, since that provides Armor, a Crossbow and some bolts, but either Dragons are made of Notpiercablebybolts-ium or my Dwarfs aim like they have no eyes.

Long Story short, has anyone ideas how to get rid of Draco the Annoying Dragon?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon blocking Reclaim
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:13:46 am »

If you're willing to do anything, just edit the raws in some way to give this guy some kind of amusing death, then reset them afterwards.  You could just temporarily give swords godlike stats so your guys can cut him to pieces.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:15:31 am »

1) It's a dragon.  You expect to take it down with a handful of copper bolts?  It's a dragon!
2) Your dwarves shoot worse than piss until they get fairly high level.

You can regen the world by exporting the data, either during fort mode using the "export local image" option in the escape menu, or in Legends mode.  From there, it will generate a world_gen.txt file or something similar, which you can use to reload the entire world.  More detailed explanation here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Importing_and_Exporting_Games

Or you could get Runesmith, and give one of your dwarves insane combat abilities by cheating, kill the dragon, then reset his abilities to normal.  For that matter, with cheating, you can just make the dragon tame, or encased in obsidian.

Without tinkering, I'd suggest to get an embark squad, and give the dwarves dodge and shield skill to max.  Then embark with a shield and spear for each of them, wooden shields and nice spears.  Chances are they'll die, but they may do a few hits.  Then keep repeating this until the dragon dies.  Wounds accumulate over time.  It's just important to max the dodge and shield skills on a few dwarves, rather than giving them any weapon skill or getting a lot of mediocre dwarves.  They'll skill up in weapons during the battle, just be quick with the military uniforms and movement.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:14 am »

Could start with all the material needed to make a few cage traps. Lead your dragon problem intoi the traps using a brave dwarf and let the good times roll.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:27 am »

I didnt expect him to go down right away, but considering i embarked 3 Times, giving all Dwarves ambushing and Marksdwarf skills i hoped to atleast wound him, but he didnt have a scratch, thats why i wondered. But youre right, its a Dragon and it would be lame if he would go down so easy.

Il probably try the Speartactic you mentioned, but considering the Shields are of wood, wont they just burn after getting hit by the Dragonfire?

And just out of interest, if i altered him to be tame, would all other Dragons that get on my map also be tame? That would be a bit too easy i think, if i really cant manage to kill him il probably encase him in Obsidian and give me a Timelimit to prepare whereafter i take him down. He struck very early, and i hadnt any attack of that strength in my previous game until i had around 80 Dwarves. Was pretty surprised when he suddenly stood there on the Edge of my map, and obviously i wasnt prepared the sligthest.

@ lolcats

i thought Dragons count as Forgotten beasts and are therefore Trapimmune?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:32 am »

Nope, they count as megabeasts which are only trap immune if it says so in their raw entry.  By default, dragons can be captured with a wooden cage trap.

I suggest creating an adventurer, questing a bit until you get some decent gear and a few meatshields disciples, then visiting your site and killing the thing yourself.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:52:36 am »

Pfft, cheating. Do it the dwarven way: roll up an adventurer, spend an hour or two building up his skills/equipment/reputation on bandits and such, gather as many companions as you can, then journey to your former fort and slay the dragon. Then you can retire your adventurer and safely reclaim.

Really it's not as hard as you'd think, an experienced adventurer can hack through dragons more effectively than any fortress-mode dwarf, not to mention all the free cannon fodder i.e. companions you get. The leveling and traveling may be a little time consuming, but it's worthwhile if this embark really matters to you and you don't want to cheat. Just be sure to note the reclaim location on the world map before entering adventure mode, it'll be near impossible to find otherwise (take a screenshot!). Also it should go without saying, but a shield is must-have, it blocks dragonfire.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:58:01 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:27 am »

This dragon has defeated you and claimed your home as its own. Find a new embark site.

or

Just keep throwing seven-dwarf armies at it. I'd suggest spearmen, actually, cuz they have a chance to cause some decent damage on a lucky strikes. You can always then abandon and come back with the actual settlers.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40:14 am »

I never actually played Adventure Mode more than a few minutes, since i failed hard most of the time (mainly because of Boogeymen)

But since Cheating is just lame, il give the Adventure Mode approach a try and if that doesnt work il charge that guy with 7 Dwarves until he drowns in Corpses and Blood.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:07 am »

and forget cage-traps. Genesis-dragons are trapimmum and some CAN fly

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:57:26 am »

Can you post the save? Just because i have never had a dead fortress that i wanted to reclaim.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »

Or you could dig down and avoid the guy altogether. Sneak into your fort and just stay behind the locked doors and freshly-built walls reinforcing them. Then when you come back out with kick-ass dwarves, the dragon will be all "OMG" and die.

of course, he might die of laughter... but it's worth a shot right?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

http://www.fileuploadx.de/547732

@ Gomwon Thats the Downloadlink to the Save. Just Reclaim in DF Mode its the only existing Fort on the Map.

I Gave up on the Adventure Mode idea, the Boogeyman make it almost impossible for me to get anywhere. Gonna do a few reclaims with Speardwarves now.

UPDATE

Ok the suckers dead, he killed all my Dorfs except one, which got a Luckshot and took him down. Whish my Military would have done that from the start....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:30:38 pm by Stuebi »