Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Age  (Read 756 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Old Age
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »

Falling off large towers.  Building into a corner, and starving when I forget to get you out.  Goblins.  Lots of goblins.  Getting bored and being sent to the Accident chamber.  Fluffy Wamblers.

I've...  never actually had a Dwarf die of old age.  I think you should get an award for having one go like that- the only notable Dwarves to die off from father time was Tholtig and a few of her relatives.  Have you ever seen a bearded fellow fall victim to the hourglass?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Old Age
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:06:02 pm »

Only once... I had a migrant arrive at a very ripe age, and died a few years later.  Luckily he was a lye maker or some crap, so I didn't care.  A real dwarf though, no, not ever.  This relies upon the assumption that your fort actually survives an extended time, though...

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »

Nay, never have I seen death of old age in dwarves.

I've only seen it in worthless animals.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »

Falling off large towers.  Building into a corner, and starving when I forget to get you out.  Goblins.  Lots of goblins.  Getting bored and being sent to the Accident chamber.  Fluffy Wamblers.

I've...  never actually had a Dwarf die of old age.  I think you should get an award for having one go like that- the only notable Dwarves to die off from father time was Tholtig and a few of her relatives.  Have you ever seen a bearded fellow fall victim to the hourglass?
my forts end after like.. 7-8 years. mostly because i play a different world due to boredom, and keep the 7-8 year old one on the backburner. it just gets SO tedious when you play 3 straight hours and you havent finished off a single year.

but ive heard it happen in other fortresses, especially epic +500year fortresses, but its cancelled out because dorf families get worringly, tantrum spiral inducingly big.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »

Only in Hallhealer, where dwarves were adjusted to live as long as humans.  Otherwise, no, unless the king shows up and is already pretty old.  Under normal circumstances, I think a fort needs to survive around a minimum of 70 years for that to happen.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:34:21 pm »

the primary reason why so few dwarves live long enough to die from old age is exactly because they live for so long. the longer you live, the less likely you are going to die from age, and the more likely you are to die from a horribly violent action/situation or disease; look at goblins and elves. they are immortal, and as such, always die violent deaths because they can not naturally die. however, if you were to play a custom civilization where the creatures only lived for a maximum of 10-20 years, then having natural deaths would be far more likely due to the rest of the world moving relatively slowly compared to their lifespan. [that is, a mature creature that lives 10-20 years would only see a total of 9-19 trade caravans, assuming they had no baby phase and become adults in 1 year; where as a dwarf would [outlive several of those creatures]]

so yes, having a dwarf die of old age would certainly be an accomplishment, more so if that dwarf were actually born inside the fortress itself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:38:54 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"