Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What just happened?  (Read 755 times)

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
What just happened?
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:55:27 am »

So I just found this cool embark site and began starting my fortress. After I finished mining out the starting area and realizing I had no soil in there I proceeded to make a walled off area for my farm. After my carpanter finished three sections off the wall he went to get more wood. Literally five seconds later I got the message that Urist McFarmer and Urist McMason drowned. I was thinking WTF and went to check out the area. It turned out to be my wagon except there was a hole with some water in the middle of it. That wasn't there before. I did not get a cave-in message either. I would just like to know what happened.

(BTW I'm sorta new to DF.)
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
Re: What just happened?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:57:00 am »

Murky pool has melted due to global warming?

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:09:47 am »

Maybe, but I didn't see any kind of ice before when I scrolled over the wagon with the K button. Also the pool was like 2 Z-levels down.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:27 am »

I bet it was the melting. When it's frozen, the pond may only be visible one layer down - that's where the water is. The "surface" layer may look just like normal snow. Just like in real life - except for the flash thawing.

To avoid this in the future, don't embark in areas where water freezes, or if you do, make sure you forbid traffic over the pools or dig escape ramps for them.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:43 am »

I've heard of people embarking on a frozen river, only to have the river thaw 2 minutes later and destroy the wagon and the dwarves.  If there was a tiny murky pool, then that would keep the wagon intact probably, but still drop dwarves.