Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are all the migrants at?  (Read 884 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Where are all the migrants at?
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:18 am »

So I had a fortress of 90, and I wanted some more dwarves in the joint to use my iron bedrooms and captured iron daggers. I increased the pop cap to 120, and it's been at least four years since then. No migrants. Looking at the gamelog, it's been eight Springs since I saw the 'fortress has attracted no migrants' message. I know I've been editing the right file because other changes take effect properly.

The only special thing I did between the last two migrant messages was to crack open the caverns and kill the FBs there. The caverns were half-open to start with, as I used DFliquids to obsidianise a few tiles that would have interfered with a room design. I got the reveal message and tree growth on muddied stone, but no tiles were revealed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the migrants at?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:28:45 am »

To activate init changes you must restart DF

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the migrants at?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:37 am »

To activate init changes you must restart DF
other changes take effect properly

From that you may infer that I have been correctly activating init changes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.